Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Looking for Chinigauchi area 5 d route suggestion < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mdcjsps

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello folks. Looking for a little advice.
Six of us somewhat experienced canoeists (3 adults, 3 teenagers) are looking for a 5 day canoe route in the Chinigauchi area beginning 18th of Aug. We were on a 5 day canoe trip across the top of Lady Evelyn at the end of late July.
Our concerns are low water levels and congestion. (as I suppose many are!)
We don't mind work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Marc
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1453

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's where you need to worry about congestion:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini2.ht m

There aren't a lot of small streams or shallow lakes in Chiniguchi where you would need to be overly concerned about the water levels. It is mostly lake travel. The Backdoor route might be a concern.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 1:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

we did the backdoor last year at the end of august in extreme low water conditions and it was not a problem- the creek section still floated the canoe and did not require any dragging (unlike the sturgeon). in fact my impression is that some of the portages are probably easier in dry conditions... it's a very nice remote route but only a couple of campsites at either end so don't start too late in the day.
brian's description of congested areas is dead on. it wasn't like that at all 20 years ago, even though the route was always in hap wilson's guide. for more solitude there are good side routes like flume/laura lake etc. things do get less busy north of chiniguchi lake.
 Link to this message

mdcjsps

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you both for the information.
Do you happen do know if the water levels in Carafel Creek are high enough to move from Outlet to Maskinonge lake?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1455

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As I recall the only place where the levels might affect your travel is the bottom section close to Maskinonge. However, that is a short section, so I can't see there being any significant problem.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1456

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

grncnu, let me ask you about Backdoor. Do the trails seem to be getting much travel? Have you seen much beaver activity? They have dramatically improved travel in there as they have raised the water level over the last 6 years, so I am wondering if they are still busy adding more dams.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

brian, i would say the trails are getting some travel but not that much. someone has left an unnecessarily huge amount of flagging tape on some sections, but none of it is hard to follow. the campsite on mudding lake did not look like it had been used for a long time. i think the beavers are still very active as i remember quite a few liftovers, and i think we were able to use the creeks a bit more than is shown on the map, but i'm not positive about that.
it's a beautiful route though, thanks for helping to open it up and get it mapped!
 Link to this message

mdcjsps

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Again, thank you for the information about water levels.
Regards,
Marc

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home