Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Condition of Red Squirrel Road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone been down the Red Squirrel Road lately? what are the road conditions like and has there been any car vandalism issues.
thanx
jim
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 159

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We were up and down Red Squirrel Rd numerous times since the spring (May - mid July), with no problems, except encountering some bears crossing the road in mid May. This road is slightly better than the Temagami Access Rd, gravel but not as washboard like. We were driving an Avalanche, others had cars, noone had any problems. We are not aware of any car vandalism issues.

We were there searching for our son: ALERT-Missing Person
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you for the info. We will certainly keep our eyes open for anything that may help in the search.
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back, we had a great trip! After the rain the lower portion of red squirrel road(just before parking lot) towards the lake is a write off unless you have good clearance and 4WD.
jim

(Message edited by jimdiane on August 12, 2012)
 Link to this message

bbrewer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm heading through Red Squirrel Lake next week with my daughter and was thinking about hanging some food to pick up later. How long does it take to get from highway 11 to the parking lot on Red Squirrel? Would there be any problems with stashing some food there for a couple of days?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 371

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Depends on how fast you drive. Some drive the gravel roads at a snails pace, some at breakneck speed. I'll average 60 kph and it takes about 25 minutes to RS Lake. Probably no problems stashing dry goods there in your car. If you stash in the woods, the critters might get at it, if it's not in barrels.
 Link to this message

bbrewer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to make it to the lake in under an hour, but I've been on enough logging roads to know that 15 km/h isn't out of the question.

I was going to hang the food in drybags, not store it in a car or in a barrel. I've never had an issue with hanging near my campsites, but I've never left it for 2-3 days.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

as per the early 70's eastwood film, "hang 'em high"...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home