Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Regan to Lower Goose Falls < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

How many days at a minimum would you give yourself to get through from Regan Lake, through the Solace Wildlands and down to Lower Goose Falls. Enter the Sturgeon at the Pilgrim Triangle. It looks like I have 6 days and I'm wondering if it's enough. Would it be a lot of travel each day or do you think I would have a day of rest in there? I am considering taking out at Twinkle lake instead if the time is too short.
Also, is Ames Creek usable between Pine Lake and Twinkle?

PT
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 369

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi PT,

From Hamlow-Regan Lakes you should make Solace Lake in a day. From there you have a couple of options, Ames-Pinetorch, Yorston or Sturgeon. I would think the Ames Pintorch route would be too low to do well. The Twinkle exit could be done from Linger Lake up the short section of Ames Cr. Pine Lake to Twinkle via Ames is a dry rock bed. In any case, Regan to the Lower Goose in 4 days.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1458

Posted on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pine Lake to Seagram along Ames Creek is not open. You would have to do some bushwhacking.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sweet! I wish someone could do a fly in from lower goose to regan and then I wouldn't need to do all that driving. There just isn't any place to land.....
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1462

Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2012 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you considered Wawiagama or Emerald as both have parking, though it is a rough drive to Wawiagama?
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think it would be wise to take the group up the Obabika after we wrestle our way through the Solace. It would just be too much. I was going to try driving over that new bridge across the Sturgeon to get to Regan. If its gated I was figuring on parking near the bridge and going into the Solace from Ghoul lake. Maybe if it rains a whole bunch, we will just run the Sturgeon. We are keeping the options open. On Haps route #22 there is an A access point on the bottom of Yorston lake. Is that open? All other comments are welcome.
PT
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 371

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is a short paddle up the Obabika River to the confluence of Wawiagami River. At this time water will be low so current is not an issue. Wawiagami will be low and somewhat problematic but the exit from Upper goose would be short. I know of no access at the bottom of Yorston Lake. Perhaps Hap is indicating bush plane access.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1466

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is an ATV access at the south end of Yorston Lake. Not sure if it is open for vehicles, but not likely.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So it looks like Manitou lake is our starting point with a car shuttle to lower Goose. We will probably fly in to Scarecrow. Any words to the wise for a journey through The Solace? Is there any chance of spotting Daniel Trask through this area or has it all been searched out?
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pierre19: None of this area has been searched for Daniel (our son), we suspect he is north of where his clothing was found (NE arm of Diamond, close or north of entry into Lady Evelyn. But, always good idea to be on the lookout for signs, tks and enjoy your trip.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Trasker, We certainly will be on the lookout for signs. We have followed your posts since you put up the alert and our hearts go out to you. I will post back after our trip.;
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Pierre, Just a thought for you. I had a friend get flown into Apollo Lake a few years ago, and he went down the Pilgrim Creek to the Sturgeon Basin. There is a bit of walking in water, but the creek is beautiful.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, January 6, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where'd he fly in from?
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 7, 2013 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

He flew in from Lake Temagami. I believe the company is Ravenscraft.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 7, 2013 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are ever on the Yorston River and want a diversion, Marcia Lake is one of my wife's favourite spots. Get into Spruce Lake which is on the River about 4km north of the Bridge. Get onto the road which is west of the river at the south part of the lake. There is a 900m hike/portage on the trailroad. This lake has hands down the best bass fishing in the area. There are also an unusually high amount of snapping turtles and loons(probably because of the bass). It is seldom fished or camped on because it is out of the way, and there is only bass in the lake. Beautiful campsite, and beaches.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1496

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looks like an interesting side trip. Where is the campsite on Marcia?
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a campsite right at the end of the trailroad. There is another one at the north end of the lake.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last summer, when we flew into Scarecrow we saw alot of Pilgrim creek as we flew along. It looked a little too low to run in late August last year. It looked like the walking would have been excessive. It looked tempting to go down it anyway just because it looked so nice.
PT
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I meant to ask you brian- do you know where witch's and cat's lake get their names? We've never seen these lakes named on other maps. Is there a name for the third lake in that group where the road crosses the end of it? Witch's lake is well named- it sure is a spooky place!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1504

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Those names came off an old Keewaydin map that goes back at least 50 years. They could have been some TFN references. For example, Witch's Point on Lake Temagami was named because the wife of Windabin lived there at one time. The map had no name for the third lake.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

scottb, i have a similar question for you about "spruce lake", which is unnamed on the 1:50000 map but is called "lunch lake" on the fot map... i camped there once (in a driving rain that wouldn't quit) and it was nothing to write home about, so thanks for the tip about marcia.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pierre, about your trip idea - I am always looking to go up to Yorston/Pilgrim/Bull/Sturgeon area in the summer. Problem is, my camping buddies(Dad, uncles) are getting older and less able to go. No one I know with experience wants to camp up there anymore. If people needed a ride into the area, I take my truck and bike there all the time. I would be very happy to do a drop off, and/or pickup days later. It is difficult to find people to go up with that understand and respect the area for what it is, as well as experienced enough not to hurt themselves. If anyone is interested, and not crazy(haha) let me know.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I asked my Dad about spruce lake, and he said that he remembers seeing it on a map somewhere. His Dad and uncles used to call it Spruce going back to at the fifties. We have a "Norman Rockwell" style painting of my brother from the seventies fishing on a rock just north of there where the road crosses the Yorston.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Took a walk up to Marcia some years ago. Pic of the view from the campsite at the end of the trailroad here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18860396/Marcia%20Lake.jp g
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very Nice pic. Other than Loons, Snapping Turtles, and monster Bass, you will usually find it is very private. No one really goes there to fish because there is only Bass in the Lake. Here is a moose pic we took on the hottest day in July 2011

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home