Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Ma' iingan < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tidewater

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A heads up regarding the Rabbit-Lower Twin loop area. There is a resident wolf pack in those parts. I offer this more as a simple FYI than a caution. This past Friday night at a campsite, no sooner had the moon crested the trees when this pack sang their presence. A large group and probably no more than a kilometer from us. A beautiful few moments! Later (11:15pm) a "soloist" let go some long mournful howls, with the pack soon providing back-up again...and much closer now...I would guess no more than 500 metres from my husband and I...likely just the usual perimeter patrol of their territory but unnerving at that point in a tent just the same! I heard them again at 2:15am but much further away. As there have not been any confirmed unprovoked wolf attacks in decades, again, I offer this experience not as a caution but a hope that anyone in the area be lucky enough to hear this very special "north-song" too...after all, these were real and wild Temagami wolves...not those Algonquin Park circus wolves that they have "trained" to answer park staff on the public wolf howl outings, lol!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 370

Posted on Monday, August 6, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice! Thanks for sharing your experience.
 Link to this message

bob_groves

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I opened the trails through Upper and Lower Twin Lakes in the 1980's after they had not been used in many years. Ran my dog team from Temagami to my trap line south of Rabbit Lake via these trails. Lots of wolves in those days. They often followed the team and came to the cabin at night. Great listening to them. When snowshoeing in the dark it was not uncommon to hear the wolves running along parallel to the trail checking us out. When canoeing in this area it was common to find wolf tracks outside the tent in the morning.
 Link to this message

tidewater

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank God! I'm so stiff...I've been sitting here at my computer for over 6 months waiting for someone else to respond to my post! Hah! But seriously, thanks for posting. The howling we heard initially came from the direction of the Twin Lakes before coming near us on Rueben. Hope to do some winter camping there (next season)...have missed those quiet, starry winter nights! Thanks for sharing some of your experiences.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 389

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice to hear. Reuben is one of my favourite places for a quick solo trip or even day paddle, easy to get into, very quiet. I also really like backcountry skiing in the patch of land between Rabbit and Reuben, nice hills, swamps, completely untouched and untrammelled. Planning on going in there soon.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i used to wonder how come we rarely hear wolves in temagami, while at our cabin on the north magnetawan we hear them quite a lot. turns out there are 2 distinct species of wolves, and the line between them, as far as i can see, lies somewhere between north bay and new liskeard.
to the south is what was originally called the algonquin wolf but seems to now have been more or less officially designated the eastern wolf (canis lycaon).
to the north is what we used to call the timber wolf but is now called the gray wolf (canis lupus).
the eastern wolf is intermediate in morpholgy and coloration between the gray wolf and the critically endangered red wolf (canis rufus) which formerly ranged from the gulf of mexico to roughly ohio. there also appears to be hybridization between the eastern wolf and the coyote, producing what are being called "coywolves" in southern ontario and the northern states.
in my experience the eastern wolves are much more vocal than gray wolves, and often react to other sounds i.e. the "circus wolves" of algonquin park, while gray wolves are much less so and also sound quite different.
the gray wolves have that classic long-drawn-out howl- slow, melodic, spooky. the eastern wolves do a lot more yipping and high-pitched yowling.
sounds like what tidewater heard were gray wolves, which is interesting because it's so far south. the only time we've heard gray wolves in temagami was up on the makobe river, at alexander lake. i'd be interested to hear which wolves bob groves was hearing back in the 80's.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home