Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Stull Lake to Montreal River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

chrisb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi - could I just check that the following is a workable short August trip for a moderately experienced group not wanting to lounge but also not wanting to paddle dawn to dusk?

Day 1 - fly-in late morning to Stull Lake, camp on Scarecrow Lake
Day 2 - hike to tower summit, camp either Mihell/McCullough or Whitemud
Day 3 - camp on Smoothwater
Day 4 - van out at Beauty Lake Rd by early afternoon

And if it is slightly too little time, would you fly to Hamlow or to Woods?

Many thanks.
 Link to this message

shearjoy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Probably a little short if anything. I make that 35km, or about 12 per day, so very doable.

I would stay away from Whitemud this year though. It is very shallow at the best of times, maybe three inches of water above several feet of thick mud. This year with the low water levels it may not be canoeable. There is a portage direct to Apex as an alternative.

Also you could probably save some money by arranging a ride into Hamlow instead of the flight. The bridge across the Sturgeon was replaced this spring.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1459

Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Gervais bridge across the Sturgeon is closed to public use, or is supposed to be.

As it can be difficult to get a campsite on Scarecrow, I would want to get there early, so I'd fly to Woods.
 Link to this message

chrisb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks so much. Between Scarecrow and Smoothwater,, is there a campsite other than between Mihell and McCullough? I agree the total route is a bit short but Scarecrow to Smoothwater in one day sounds long - but it would be nice to break it further along. That's why I was thinking of Whitemud, but that sounds unappealing!
 Link to this message

chrisb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry - one more question. Is there a viable campsite at the peak of tower summit itself?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1461

Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2012 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a dearth of campsites between Scarecrow and Smoothwater. McCullough is a big site that gets used in the winter. In a bind you could always camp at one end of a portage.

There is room for tents on top of Ishpatina, but there is no water. And it can be windy. Backpackers frequently stay up there. Suggest you bring a stove too.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home