Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Alternative Access Points < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 28, 2004ed15 06-28-04  7:47 am
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all, I just came back from using the Goulard access into Chinaman’s Bay on Obabika.

Ed’s assessment and description above is very accurate. The road up to Obabika Lodge will pose no problems. Some of it is paved but it is mostly gravel and wide. It has lots of hills and blind corners so you should always be on the look out for other vehicles and trucks. Always stay on your side of the road when you cannot see far enough ahead. We did not encounter any logging trucks but we went in on a Sunday and came out Thursday around noon.

The road progressively gets worse after the Obabika Lodge split. As Ed mentioned, be prepared to take your time driving in the last part of the road., We encountered lots of loose rock, imbedded rocks sticking out of the road, deep ruts and the odd boulder. I have a 4x4 Jeep and the road posed no problem for me but we went slow and careful and got bounced around a bit on the odd occasion. I saw a Subura Legacy Outback drive the road and survive. Just remember, you will have to go slow to keep from bottoming out if you do not have adequate ground clearance.

There is a camp with buildings and a new logging road just before the turn were Ed says “Watch you don't take the west branch near Iron Lake and end up at the Obabika river”. Go past the new logging road and look for a sign posted on a tree that says “Alex”. That is the road you will need to take in order to get to the Goulard gate and the Wawiagama portage. At the gate, the road to the left goes to a big open area (abandoned lumber camp) and this is where you should park your vehicle.

At the parking area, you can access Wawiagama Lake, paddle to the Wawiagama Lake – Chinaman’s Bay portage (this is the long way) or walk up the road beyond the gate about 1K to join the portage about halfway. It is marked by an orange ribbon.

Another alternative, is to use the snowmobile trail (trail road) a couple hundred yards before the gate. It is shorter but more strenuous due to a hill that you will have to carry over. You will also have to scramble your gear across a huge ditch that someone has dug in order to help deter using this trail. I believe it is private property but there are no posted signs.

In addition, you can get all this info about this access from this website. It includes mileage for all the turns. We used the mileage info to help us determine the next turn.

Good luck, RT
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed and RT, you guys rock! (I'm told that's a good thing.) Thanks so much for the good news and all the details.

Now if only someone knew of a place to stay near this alternate access point. Obabika Lodge said they 'had no availability' for just the night before put-in and the night after take-out. (Just as well, I would have bought a new 4x4 for the same cost.) And my surfing couldn't turn up a phone number or email for Emerald Lake Lodge or Blue Demon Lodge. Anyone know of a lodge/motel/etc in that area (i.e., north of Sturgeon Falls)?

Have a great day,
...Terry
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 95

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

terry:
Blue Demon Lodge is on #805 at 705-693-3514 and Emerald Lake Camp is on # 805 before Blue Demon at 705-858-1452
Neither of these places are 5 star hotels like the Obabika Lake Lodge. They cater to hunters and fishers primarily.
Some others in the area are listed below including Manitou Lake Lodge which you will pass on the way in:
The Blue Demon looks like a good choice if you are adventurous.
http://francoroute.ca/jeunesse/pagesweb/Nipissing% 20Ouest/hebergement3.htm

Or you could camp out at one of the many camp spots along the way in. There are several spots at Emerald Lake, near the North end, unless the locals have got them all taken up.These are sites on Crown land.You will see a bunch of trailers/tents parked near the road across from the lake.
You could also camp at the old Goulard camp, near where the gate is located or maybe by the access point for Wawiagama lake where the locals put in their boats.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry:

By the way the link to the Obabika Lake access is at :

Obabika access maps

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/round-lk.htm

---in case you didn't find it.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry,
You can drive to the gate and portage a short distance in and camp on the sandy soil along the portage road. Take in your own water and then the next morning portage to Obabika lake. Be careful about fires there are no fire pits set up so I recomend you cook by stove and not build a fire. You can start out early the next morning and do the rest of the portage.
Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on June 29, 2004)
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the details, Ed and Bill. FYI, the Blue Demon Lodge's phone number is out of service. I think we'll go with Emerald Lake Lodge, since it has a showerhouse with real hot water, as well as a "chef's choice" dinner -- livin' it up!
...Terry
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry,
When are you planning to be up there on your trip. I will be there on Saturday afternoon. Portaging to Obabika and camping somewhere past the bay on Saturday. Leaving a week from Sunday. The days are July 3-11.
Bill
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wife and I will be putting in at Chinaman's Bay, Obabika on the morning of July 8th. We'll wander north, then take the Obabika River back south to Wawiagama Lake and head home on the 13th.

So yes, we might see each other, Bill! Look for us on a pale pale green Swift Mattawa. May the duct tape stay in your pack!
...Terry
P.S. Anybody know how dry the Wawiagama "river" (E of Wawiagama Lake) is now? Hap's book (new version, yay!) says there'll be lots of carry-overs on it and the Obabika. I hope six days isn't too rushed for this loop!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 99

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

terry:
The Wawiagama river had no liftovers in early June. I went through on June 4th. Water levels were high. But in most places you could jump out and walk it if necessary.
The Obabika is blocked just below the Wawiagama river entrance and a portage is required.
I have heard that it is mostly clear above that.
Maybe someone else who has been down there recently could respond.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry,
When going down the Obabika River you must keep a sharp eye out for the enterance to the Wawiagama River, it came be hard to see if you are not paying alot of attention.
Bill
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 69

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry, To bad you can not go a little bit earlyier and join us, there are 5 in our group. Could handle a couple more.
Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home