Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Backcountry User Maintenance * Archive through June 10, 2004 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bomber biffy built in 1954 by a Keewaydin section camped at McConnell Bay, Chiniguchi Lake. Apparently it was 25 ft tall, with ladder leaning safely out of harm's way.

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian....

Is that a WMD

Weapon of Mass Defecation

Designed in Iraq?
 Link to this message

street

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree, C Mel, that Centre Falls should be at the very top of the places where a "privy" is needed. So perhaps one of us could check with Ontario Parks to see what the plans are to make sure that campsite is covered.

Centre used to have a 4-star privy (great view of the falls) way back in the '70's, but nothing last time I was there (two years ago - early season, so the campsite was immaculate both before and after we left, but I was concerned about how it might look at the end of the summer).

The other high priority areas would be the island campsites, especially the heavily used ones. If I recall correctly, most of these have privies on them - eg., the "fortress" site on southern Lady E Lake (also a 4-star, decent view off to the west side of the island), the island site on Wakimika - but if not, any of these would be great candidates.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
I will also work this weekend on a plastic drum thunderbox and see what I come up with. Will let you know how it works out and e-mail you a picture. Do the same with me and we will compare notes.
Bill
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like a thunderbox construction challenge is shaping up ?

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 29

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So, who is going to contact John Salo and ask about box placement in the existing Parks and Reserves?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 67

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Street:
The Island site on Wakimika has a new one put there last season. Placed by Alex Mathias and manufactured by C_Mel and Alscool.I think!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 68

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

May I suggest that we put together a list of the sites most in need of new privies. Then we can send our recommendations to John Salo. Maybe we could ask what his budget is for this years privie effort.

I wonder what mnr will have to pay for a privie. Probably a lot if they are made the way C_Mel and Alscool made theirs ,with a well fitted lid with hinges and a chain to hold the lid up. Also, they were well finished off around the hole, with great care given to sand the edges out smooth so that no one would be getting slivers in their arses.

Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The large site on the east side of Hobart was bad the last time we were there, but it WAS late in the season,after all the camps had bring through. The other site that comes to mind was the island site on Wakimika, but it looks like it's already covered!
Does anyone remember seeing the THUNDERBOX on the most northerly island on Diamond, west of the narrows. It was fashionned out of a log with a chainsaw,and had an inscription on it.....KA-KA
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 69

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My daughter also said the East Hobart site was a mess last year.It had paper and hygiene products strewn all over it. I don't think it was necessarily done by the camps. That site is in constant use throughout the season.

Hobart is probably a good place for a few more new sites to be established to take some of the pressure off the existing ones.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 176

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM, you seem to imply that the first culprit would be the camps. Let me point out that the local camps put a lot of effort in every year cleaning up campsites, and have been doing so for decades. So your comment seems misplaced, unless you are referring to camps from outside the area.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian
I was simply stating that the site is well used throughout the season, and we were there towards the end of the canoeing season, after it had obviously seen a lot of use. It's proximity to Maple Mountain, and it's large size makes it popular with larger groups.
I DO realize and appreciate that the local camps help maintain the sites in and around Temagami.
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

On a recent hike up to Chee-bay-jing we found that the MNR was putting in walkways on the lower wet sections of the trail. They were using plastic 4X4s under pressure treated 2X6s, makes for a nice walkway.

We also found a big red pine down on that rocky portage out of Diamond had been partially removed since we passed it on our way up. Some recent flags on the trail as well.

A definite increase in MNR traffic, we must have just missed them. I wonder what their posture would have been if we had run into them?

What is the official word on user maintenance in areas outside of parks - Conservation Reserves and Crown Lands?

PS
The Bomber Biffy up there is the sickest thing I have ever saw!

(Message edited by c_mel on June 10, 2004)
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The removal of the foot bridge at Center Falls has to be the dumbest move by MNR Parks in the whole region. There is no alternative route, and one has to manuver around the old bridge debris, (including exposed nails) and climb the near imposible hill that was beneath the old bridge.

So it may keep the riff raff out, but they could have burnt the old bridge instead of leaving in a pile of shards and rusty nails.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 216

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know the rangers were around Diamond Lake recently, and may be there now, which isn't surprising. It is a hub of travel. The Maple Mountain trail was done last year in conjunction with Project CANOE.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home