Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Looking for a three night trip in chiniguchi.. < Previous Next >

Link to this message

don_cardinal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are looking for a three night trip in chiniguchi.Any suggestions for somewhere not too busy. We are looking at getting there early sunday morn. of the sept long weekend..
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hard to tell without knowing your group and requirements. Any 3-night loop in Chiniguchi will require starting and ending on one of more populated lakes with motor traffic - Maskinonge, Kukagami or Matagamasi; out of these 3 Matagamasi is less traveled. The most obvious trip is Matagamasi to MacConnel bay, either through Chiniguchi or Marjorie and back by Laura creek, but the part between Matagamasi and MacConnel bay also sees most canoe traffic in the area. Or, for example, you can start at Kukagami to Donald, then going to Karl falls or Donald creek and returning either by Donald or Carafel creek. Any of these places is well worth visiting.
Cheers,
Sergey
 Link to this message

don_cardinal

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning to be on the water sunday mid-morning.At first glance of the area is leaving from the sportsman lodge on Kukagami going to upper Kukagami, then Doon,Matamagasi to McCarthy Bay,down to Colin Scott into Donald then either out to the bottom of Donald to Kukagami or if time allows out Donald Creek to Maskinonge and Carafel Creek..We are intermidiate canoers with about 12 trips under our belt.I'm not sure on direction of travel or how long it takes to get to overnite camp spots.We want to be back at our vehicle by Wed. lunch..
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think your plan is as good as it gets - if I had 3 days in this area I'd likely do the same. In my few trips I don't remember seeing a single canoe on any of these lakes, except for Kukagami. Portages should not be an issue in any direction. Doon to Matagamasi might take more time than you expect - it is not much traveled, just recently restored. Ottertooth maps will be of great help and George at Sportsmans lodge can give valuable advice on campsites and places to visit en route.
 Link to this message

don_cardinal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info , my wife is also thinking about Matagamasi to Wolfe and McConnell bay.What kind of time table is it to get to McConnell bay then we may just back track back the same way.There seems to be a ton of stuff to see in this loop/area..What do you think?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It can be easily done with camps, let's say, on Wolf, McConnell bay and Wolf again and you don't have to backtrack to Wolf if you take Marjorie lake route, though it has some strenuous portages. Or you might want to go back to Matagamasi by Laura creek, camping 3rd night on Evelyn or Wessel. The infamous bog on Laura lake portage should be pretty dry by now (it was no issue in July), but Laura creek might be a drag in places between Laura and Evelyn lakes. I will copy my reply from "Chiniguchi canoe trip" thread, which is next to this one on the forum:

"From Crystal portage on Matagamasi to McConnell bay by the way of Dewdney lake is one long day, weather permitting. My timing was 11 hours, double carrying portages. Marjorie route is more difficult if not longer, same goes for Laura creek route. Any of these 3 options is reasonably easily done in 2 days one way, same disclaimer applies. As for directions, I'd prefer going South both through Marjorie, because of a single portage out of Laundry lake, and through Laura creek, going in downstream direction."
Things to see include mountain hikes around Wolf lake and Elephant mountain on Chiniguchi (no trails), pictographs on Matagamasi, Paradise lagoon and waterfalls on the 2nd portage out of Matagamasi to Sylvester. And as far as I can say there's a resident fox on the beach sites on McConnell :-)
 Link to this message

don_cardinal

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info.Looks like we'll try the Wolfe,Mcconnell, Wolfe..We may try hiking around either Elephant orthe fire tower on Franks lake..I'll let you know how it went.. Thanks again Don..

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home