Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Lady Evelyn River Waterfalls Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bbrewer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I settled on Temagami this year; my daughter and I are doing the Lady Evelyn/Anima Nipissing route. We're going for 10 days and I was thinking about taking a side trip to do the waterfalls route.

I was planning on camping on Sucker Gut Lake and taking a day to paddle the waterfalls route with the canoe and a light pack between the two of us. It looked like about 23 kms total and 13 portages. I was expecting it to be a long day, but certainly something we could do.

Then I flipped over my Temagami map and saw this: "Allow 5 days, plus area access time." Now, I get that it's 13 portages, which eats up time, but I've got a light canoe and won't need to carry a pack. I wasn't planning on stopping long at each waterfall, but am I nuts to think that we could do this in a day? Camp will already be set up and I don't mind it being a long day.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 374

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

How old is your daughter? Is she up to it? I'd budget 2 days fully loaded for that trip, not sure where they figure 5. So if you're going fast and light, it's possible. I believe there is a portage between Helen Falls and Cabin Falls, if you want to shave some distance.
 Link to this message

bbrewer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all your help, Curly.

My daughter's almost 14 and has tripped with me before, so she's no stranger to it. I'd be taking food, a stove, my water filter, and shelter in case we need to camp, but it would be minimal stuff and the pack wouldn't weigh more than 12lbs and she'll be fine with that.

Thanks for the tip on the portage between Helen and Cabin Falls.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

the one thing i would add is that some of these portages are technically extremely challenging, and can be downright dangerous in wet conditions. as you have not done it before, i would not attempt it in a day unless you are very experienced going up and down steep inclines with the canoe, and then only if it's dry!
 Link to this message

bbrewer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If it's too much, we'll shorten it and head back. I don't mind calling it off if it's wet or too dangerous.

Thanks for the warning. I'll post about it when I get back.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 372

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would caution a day trip up and down the Trout Streams. It's a couple of hours from the bottom of the South branch back up to Sucker Gut alone.
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, September 1, 2012 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Its a beautiful loop but as with the others it does take some caution especially the portages coming back down the South Channel. It would be a real tough one day loop from Sucker Gut without staying overnight on Katherine (Dividing Lake) like most do. Coming down the South channel from Katherine just to the bottom end of Willow takes 6 hours of tough work even in dry conditions. Its an amazing loop so worth taking some time to explore and wet a line.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home