Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fastjack

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 1:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll be hiking Temiskaming Highland Trail in a few days, starting from Rabbit Lake road to Latchford. I was told it usually takes 7 days.

Has anyone done the trail recently? How was it? Any difficulties while hiking? Was the trail hard to find at times?

Moreover, I'm looking for a ride to get down there (from New Liskeard); I'll pay well for the ride, as long as you can get me near Rabbit Lake Rd (37.5km from highway 11).

Fastjack
 Link to this message

fastjack

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any information would be appreciated. I've read the OTHT section from Vicky and Murray's book "Discovering Wild Temiskaming", but any recent updates would be great.

Thanks,
 Link to this message

scouter_joe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I understand that the trail has been checked and cleared from end to end this year . The trail is well marked and you should have no trouble finding your way . Hope you have a good hike and let us know how you make out . scouter Joe
 Link to this message

onr1737

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The part between Roosevelt road (North end) and Latchford was a little hairy a couple years ago but that parts along the cliff lake lookout part are wonderful and pretty well marked. Amazing scenery. You will enjoy it. Yes let us know how it goes!
 Link to this message

fastjack

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank's for the feedback onr1737 and scouter_joe. Quite late for a reply, but better than nothing. I finally ended-up going for three days, starting north. The trail was fairly easy to follow, in good condition, with sites in prestine conditions - amazing and very welcoming. You can tell some people are taking care of this trail. I met no one, but the weather was great. It was my first hike in Ontario. Since I was alone and new to the area, I brough more than need, which was overkill in the end.

I'm now planning on going again, as soon as possible! If someone is up for it, please let me know so we can meet and start preparing. I would really like to go for at least five days. Attached are a few pictures from the last trip. I can imagine spring being very muddy and the air filled with mosquitoes, but I really don't care :-) I'm craving too much for it.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1518

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The trail is a hidden gem. Thanks for the shots.
 Link to this message

worn_boots

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are also planning on hiking 50 or 60 km of this trail in August and would appreciate any advice. Also, would anyone be able to provide us with a shuttle service provider?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1536

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami Outfitting provides shuttles.
www.icanoe.ca

Have you also looked at www.nastawgantrails.org

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home