Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * South Lady Evelyn River Water Levels in August < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian_g

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a trip during the last week of August (tentatively Florence Lk via Lady Evelyn to Ferguson Bay on Temagami). The topo map shows the last few km of the South Lady Evelyn River, just upstream of the confluence with the North branch, are very narrow with a lot of meanders. Is this section generally OK during that time, or should one expect hard going in low water?
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

brian_g
We did that general route in late August/early September back in '99. The meanders are monotonous and slow going, but except for a beaver dam, it was easy going. It's a great time of year for tripping, we saw only 2 other groups in 4 days, one at the portages into McPherson, and 2 guys at Fat Man's portage. They lost us when we got to the 2 miler to Diamond, we double carried, they dragged their red ABS canoe through the portage....we saw little curled up pieces of red plastic along all the rocks.
 Link to this message

brian_g

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. That brings me to another question.
What's the general opinion on which branch of the lower Lady Evelyn River, North vs South Channel, is nicer route in terms of scenery? (I understand both routes have some infamous portages, e.g around Helen Falls, Fat Man's, etc).
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 223

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's a tough one. They are very different, and possess their own unique rugged beauty. Certainly, Centre Falls on the North Channel is excellent camping. There is no such comparable camping spot on the South Channel.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just to add some more info:
The South Lady Evelyn branch (from Apex Lake location) can be very shallow in August or later. We did this section in 1984 and walked the river for a couple of kilometers and took an old portage across a bend to avoid dragging and walking in the river.
After the first few KM's it was OK , but watch out for the section after the portage (at put-in) it is very deep muskeg-like bottom and you can't stand in it because you'd sink to your neck or worse. After it the river get a gravelly bottom.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home