Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * How prevalent are wolves? Coyotes? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last October I took a short solo trip from Twinkle Lake to Talking Falls. While on Seagram Lake filming the early morning mist I caught audio of howling (it was a full moon, too). Eerie enough to make my hair stand on end. Thirty minutes later I paddled through the mist, but saw nothing. But, I wondered how many sets of eyes were on me.

How prevalent are wolves or coyotes in Temagami and have they ever posed a danger?

Turn up the volume all the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6clpOiIFo&feature =channel&list=UL
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1471

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami's wolves are heard once in awhile and have never been a danger to humans.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 376

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In almost 25 years of tripping and living in Temagami, I've heard them twice (Prud'homme Lake in about 1998 and Thistle Lake last year). I've seen a few on the highways and a cub once on the Red Squirrel Road.

(Message edited by curly on September 5, 2012)
 Link to this message

tidewater

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

see post "ma'iigan"(aug. 6, 2012)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1473

Posted on Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a trick to provide a link to another post. Go to that post. There is a small icon in the left column above the poster's name. Right-click on it. In the popup box, click on "Copy Link Location." You can then paste the link into your own post.
 Link to this message

tidewater

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 9:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/show.cgi?tpc=3&po st=17142#POST17142

thanks, Brian
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tidewater's account is the same as mine; a single, long, mournful howl followed by the pack joining in. It was pretty cool.
 Link to this message

tidewater

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

enjoyed the utube, thanks! we had wished we'd had the presence of mind to record...too busy being unnerved in the middle of the night, lol. yes, pretty darn cool, it was!
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 22

Posted on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have heard them only a couple of times in Temagami myself. Couple years ago in south end of Algonquin recorded this pair that were standing just inside the tree line on a river in middle of day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk9BRJNutw&feature =context-gau

Previous day we were on a lake where judging by the howling a den was located and this pair of adults were returning to the den after a hunt in the fall when they start leaving the young alone. We caught a fleeting glimpse as they bounded through the woods after getting a return howl.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

just heard wolves 2 nights ago but not in temagami (north magnetawan river northeast of sundridge). in 21 years we only heard wolves once in temagami, at alexander lake on the makobe in 1996. even though i've heard wolves dozens of times- and coyotes hundreds of times in erin twp.- the wolves that night were the most impressive i've ever heard. the following year (97) we saw the prints of a large pack on the sandspit campsite at the top of smoothwater lake. i certainly think i've seen prints many times on portages but you never know for sure as some canoeists travel with large dogs...
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 223

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As a kid I watched a wolf chase a deer at dusk right in front of Forestry Island, but hey that was a long time ago. I've seen scat on the old Sherman Mine property and my neighbour has heard wolves from that area in the last few years.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 67

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

In forty years on island lake have only heard them twice and seen once in the woods. Amazing memory

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home