Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Grassy River to Lake Mattagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bryan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of a way to cross from the Grassy River, Lake Sinclair area over to lake Mattagami??? The closest link I can see might be the Hassard Creek?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 379

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh, I looked at this awhile ago. I don't have on-the-ground experience though. The best bets I came up with were Kapiskong L to Moher L and down to the Mattagami IR, or via Claw Lake, or from West Shiningtree Lake and down the Opikinimika River. See The Keewaydin Way (Brian Back) or Canoeing North Into the Unknown (Bruce Hodgins and Gwynneth Hoyle) for more info. I spoke with Craig MacDonald about this as well, he said that during the fur trade there was a tote road portage, I think due west from Sinclair to Mattagami. Let us know what you find.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1482

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

In The Keewaydin Way is a trip in 1984, on the way to the Groundhog did this:
Grassy R - Canoeshed L - Grassy R - Kapiskong L - Peterlong Lake - Kenogamissi L - Grassy R - up Mattagami R - Minisinakwa L

In 1974:
Pigeon L - Houston L - Sams L - Wasapika L - Michiwakenda L - Okawakenda L - West Shining Tree Cr - West Shining Tree - Allin L - Lower Opikinimika L - up Opikinimika R - Opikinimika L

Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very nice ! I will be on Pigeon Lake around May 22 this year to continue the opening of a forgotten and historical portage called Little Hawk,Pigeon lake to Ferris(little Hawk lake). Yes,the tote road between Sinclair to the old fort (Hudson Bay Post)is just below the island on Mattagami at the fork,I believe it to be a 5Km overland,it should have been cut wide and signs may still be there of it's passage since it was used for high traffic !!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home