Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Yorston Cliff climbing < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 9, 2012chris25 11-9-12  8:10 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 129

Posted on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

... a lot better then some of the other framed structures with piles of garbage, broken down ad-hoc outhouses and the guff piled high amidst TP decorated trees. Glad I didn't take any pics of that!

Ed has some beauties though...
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 182

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pierre19: OK, so Asabi Lk (322) is between Bull Lk (327) on the west side and Long Lk (331) to the east. This is likely further west than Daniel would be, but never know... Pleae keep him in mind when you venture into Temagami backcountry again, he's out there somewhere...
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was checking on the GPS and it is 30km as the crow flies from the campsite on Diamond to Asabi Lake. We will certainly keep an eye out.
I can't wait to head back up there again. Any excuse will do. Just have to wait out the period of time where the water hardens up. I'm thinking ice out fishing trip in the Yorston Lake area. There seemed to be some nice trout in that lake.
PT
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 183

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are right, it is a fair distance, but he's out there somewhere. We too will be waiting for ice out to conduct our spring search (2nd spring search) as soon as doable. It's somewhat like finding a needle in a haystake, but we can't not search, exhaust all possibilities, unless, someone else finds something...
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well I was thinking that you could probably travel 30km in a couple days. What of the Nastawgan? Could Daniel have been trying to use the winter routes out of Diamond Lake?
Keep searching.
PT
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If anyone cares to know, the road to Yorston Lake is really only passable with a good 4x4. Our F150 had no problem but we definitely tested out the suspension and drive train. The last 900m was only negotiable with an ATV. I'm sure some 4x4 bush buggies could make it but we didn't want to scratch the paint.
PT
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hope this uploads properly- the bottom right hand side of this map shows where the road crosses by a high point in the ridge that connects to the Yorston Cliff. It is a fairly easy hike off of the trailroad. There is an amazing view from the top.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 55

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Scott, thanks for that, I put a blue flag on the right side of my topo which is a little different from yours. It's a turn off that goes directly north. Is that the same access point to the cliffs that you are thinking of? The cliffs we wanted to get to are those looking over Yorston lake. There is another high point halfway between my two lower blue flags. The bottom blue flag is where the Ford Galaxie is. The bunch of blue flags were put there while we were on the trail starting the Witch's crossover.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I took a snip of your map here - the contour ridge on the north side of the road is the lookout. It is accessible by a short trail. You're right- it's in between the two bottom flags. This ridge is part of the same continuous mountain that extends up to Yorston Lake. Just Metres east of the creek between your bottom flags is an abandoned logging camp called 'Camp 10'.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oops! Here it is.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We call that hill 'Camp 10 Hill' - you can see the lookout from the road.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's link to an illustrated description of the hike up the cliff on Yorston Lake in '07.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18860396/Yorston%20Lake%2 0Cliff/index.html
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 385

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks doublebend! Nice shots
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, Thankyou doublebend. Those were a pleasure to look at. I'm getting stoked. So how did you access it? Did you drive up the road that goes strait north and then head west to the summit? Or did you simply bushwack from the south end of Yorston Lake? It looks pretty clear that you were at the peaks just east of the lake. What did you think of that white face? Do you remember it? Does it look natural to you?

PT
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Erm, nevermind, reread the description which gives the route climbing directly up a path on the cliff face. Sounds nice and easy.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pierre- Here's a pic of the Cliff from the road.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo &position=4&with_photo_id=85207054&ss_play&ss_dela y=60&order=date_desc&user=6251124
 Link to this message

canotmaitre

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a link to another gallery of cliff views along our hike up from Yorston Lake in '07.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23052207/Yorston%20Ridge% 20Hike/index.html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home