Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Route advice < Previous Next >

Link to this message

todd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looking at a couple options here, start on Obabika, do Wakimika, Diamond, Bob that area, Im now kinda getting interested in Wolf lk. Chiniguchi, Stouffer, I dont have Haps new book, just the old one, but I heard it has a good route through this area.

Soooo...., heres my questions, which is busier(starting aug.6 for 5 to 7 days, high time, I know), we would prefer no ATV,s or power boats, I have nothing against them, just not what I want to deal with in the bush. Nice sites etc. any thing else you can tell me about this would be great.

We usually have at least one 2 day layover, we travel with a 7 year old, but shes been at it since birth almost, lol, so shes pretty adaptable.

Thanks, Todd
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I personally don't go to Obabika, Wakimika, Diamond in July or August (unless someone pays me, which has happened). That's because I don't like crowds. To me, other people generally makes for a crowd. You shouldn't see ATVs on that route, and powerboats should be limited to Lake Temagami and a few low HP boats on Obabika or Diamond. Can't speak for the Wolf Lake region.

I find the Cassels-Lorrain-Rabbit loop a nice alternative to the one you mentioned. It has a very similar set of attractions (old growth hiking trails on Blueberry Lake) and creek travel (Friday Creek). It's a 3-5 day loop, but the portages are a bit longer than the (very easy) Wakimika route. No crowds, but there's always the possibility of anglers on any of the lakes.
 Link to this message

todd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks curly, it seems like a busy time to go, I think we may bump it up a bit or wait till our fall trip for temagami.

Anyother ideas would be appreciated.

Todd
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Todd,

Where you coming from? There are several options in the area, such as the Marten River, if you are still looking to get up North. Camping in early August is busy pretty much anywhere you go, although if you are willing to get off the beaten track you might find some solitude.

Burt
 Link to this message

simon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm in a similar situation. I'm planning a six-day with my wife and son, who is five (and has also been on many trips) later in September. We're thinking of the Temagami, Diamond, Obababika or the Chiniguchi-Laura Creek loop. It's our first time in Temagami, so want to keep it moderate. So, I'd be interested if any had thoughts on the relative merits of the routes in September as well.

Thanks!
Simon
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 202

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to consider combining a fall canoe trip with the Changing of the Seasons Celebration on Sept 15 weekend?
Its held at the north end of Obabika Lake.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

September is a great time for Temagami and even popular routes like Diamond/Obabika will not have too many people on them . Be aware that later in the month, the weather tends to get a bit more unpredictable from what I have seen .
 Link to this message

simon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks! We're committed to Sep. 20-26, so won't be able to do the Changing of the Seasons Celebration - sounds fun, what is it?

Nice to hear it's not that busy - last year I went to Algonquin the last week of September and every site on every lake was full.

I was leaning towards the Chiniguchi Loop because it looks like there might be more variation of landscape and things to see for my son - also the Diamond, Obabika Loop looks like a lot of big water ie. wind. But I came across a terrible review of the Chiniguchi route posted by a tripper, talking about crowds and poor site conditions. Is the Laura Creek route well-enough maintained for a kid to do the portages? Will September water levels affect the route? I know, I know, many questions!

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Simon
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

simon,
Here you go for the ceremony:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/newsbriefs -065.htm#ma23

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home