Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Trip = planned < Previous Next >

Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, July 9, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So excited, just had to tell someone (I mean everyone). I just finished booking my Temagami adventure for this year, which starts in the Misabi range, moves through Solace Wilderness Park to the Sturgeon, down the Sturgeon (how far depends on timing) and back through Lake Temagami to the town. I'm praying for some rain (sorry trekkers) to keep the water levels on the rivers and creeks nice and high. The only problem with this trip .... my flight in is scheduled for 8 am! And that means leaving Ottawa in the dead of night to get there, unless we decide to stay over somewhere the night before.

As an aside, is Lakeland the only fly-in charter left in the Temagami area? If so that might explain some of the drastic increases in costs this year. Fuel surcharges cannot account for a nearly 25% increase in cost of flights.

Less than 3 weeks away! Booyeah!
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, July 9, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Burt

Have at her, have fun, be safe.

Lakeland is the only "official" I know of...
unofficially, I have reason to think last years
guys are still doing a lot of "pleasure-flights".

I always liked the night-drive Ottawa North...
watch for the "Big-Guys" Deep River to Mattawa...
especially Bissett Creek and that "long-stretch"
along the river. I've dusted the dust off the
doors once or twice... no dents yet.

Sundown
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, July 9, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Burt
We've left Ottawa the evening before a trip, and camped at Finlayson's the night before.....arriving at about 10 PM.
We set up our tent on the site directly across from the comfort station. I was in the shower at the crack of dawn, we then went into town for our last "served" meal for a few days, then caught our flight into the park. Costs about $15 or so for the night.
Get your boat fixed yet?
We're heading up to Temagami on Sunday for a week of R&R!!
With Tom at Longpoint Airways retired, Lakeland is really the only airways close to the park.
Marg at Sudbury Aviation is another option, but may be pricier if the distance is greater. Same with North Bay Airways.
Is Darrin flying you in in the Beaver, or the Cessna. I was told he was using the Beaver exclusively last year, with the Cessna sitting in the hanger. When I drove through town last year on out way up to Longpoint,no planes were at the dock, and on the way back, only the Beaver was there.
Trying to set up a fall trip this year, but it looks like my sternman may get hitched in September or October, so not sure. Still trying to convince my wife to come along!
Have a great trip!

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 116

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lakeland sold the Cessna, that may account for the price increase since you are now flying in a larger aircraft. Fuel and insurance costs are really hurting the small charter operations.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Guys,

I thought Lakeland was the only provider left in the area. I can only imagine what the costs of getting another charter/air service company up-and-running would be, solely on insurance costs. Either way, I'm taking the flight, although this year I'm hoping it's just the flight in (and not the emergency flight out). That still hurts the wallet sometimes.

Camping at Finlayson is probably the best idea I've heard yet, although I must say I'm liking the idea of having a nice soft bed just one last night before I head into the woods. And maybe a big, greasy breakfast.

I always keep my eyes out for moose, deer and the like. After working extensively across Ontario, BC and Alberta I appreciate the caution that must be taken with moose ... one bull moose ruined a $60,000 truck that was 3 days old ... and then walked off the road.

No, the canoe is not fixed yet. I'm just too busy right now between work, soccer and camping. I'm thinking in the fall I'll take a good stab at it, don't worry, I'll be posting questions on here about the best course of action.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 111

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

BP
Thanks for the info.
Is Darrin piloting the Beaver this year, or has he hired a pilot for the summer.
Haven't flown in with Lakeland in a few years.
Burt
What lake are you flying into?
My next fly-in in Temagami will probably be flying into Florence, spend at least 1 night there, then head down through Bluesucker and through the Solace lakes and fly back out from Paul Lake.
Don't think I want to take our new(ish) canoe further than that on the Sturgeon yet!
I hear people have wrecked brand new canoes on this river!
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 73

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Darren doesn't let anyone else fly the Beaver.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM,

The trip you have planned is similar to the one we had scheduled last year, except that we did the Solace-Hamlow crossover (not a bad trek at all, actually a very pretty day with limited contact with people) and hiked Ishpatina Ridge.

This year we're flying into Pinetorch, crossing through a portion of the Misabi into Bluesucker and then resuming the trip we had planned last year. And thanks for the ribbing over the smashed up boat, it had been at least a week since someone had made fun of me for that. ;)

Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bob
Darrin's let at least one pilot fly his Beaver.
Pretty sure Chris, who flew us into Katherine in the old red and white Cessna in '98 flew us to or from Diamond in the Beaver in '99!
Burt
Sorry...I couldn't resist! Have a great and SAFE trip.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Darrin is a really good bush pilot. I've flown with many.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 113

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug
Darrin is an excellent pilot. I've flown in with him on about 16 occasions, always felt safe and secure with Darrin behing the yoke! Also flown in with about 15 other pilots over the years.
We had an interesting trip this spring. We were on a 2 hour return flight from a lake in north-western Quebec after 4 days of pickerel fishing. When we took off, it was a beautiful sunny spring day, but after an hour, things started to look nasty. The ceiling was dropping, so we were flying along lakes and rivers just above the trees. Our pilot, who was great, knew he had to pass over some high hills before being able to follow the Gatineau River to the Baskatong, where we were to land. We checked out a lake to make a possible landing. As we continued, we flew into even lower clouds and it began to rain heavily. The pilot turned the plane around and landed on the lake he had checked out. We taxied over to an unoccupied fishing camp, had lunch and waited out the weather. This was the view from the back of the Beaver!
Float planes....more fun than a day at Wonderland!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home