Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Route Advice - Florence Lake/Yorston River Loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dsmcmaster

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I'm planning a trip for the middle of August for roughly 2 weeks. I'm leaning towards doing the Florence Lake/Yorston River loop (which is route 2 in the newest version of Hap's book, and I think was also route 2 in older versions). Also, I was thinking of going in/out at the Goulard Road access point, and skipping the Lake Temagami part of the loop.

A few questions:
Is it likely to be excessively busy (ie, will I have a difficult time finding campsites?)
Can anyone comment on the condition of Goulard Road this year? I have a car that has handled many logging roads without trouble, but I know it's been a wet season so far.
Which direction would you plan to do this loop?

I'm also open to considering different routes, if anyone wants to suggest a 10-16 day loop (I don't want to get involved in arranging a shuttle). Generally, we don't want to see/hear many motor boats and atvs, or spend much time wading through really shallow water.

Thanks!
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

dsmcmaster,

I am heading into the Misabi range in another 2 weeks, just to do the Upper Yorston River from Seagram into Bluesucker and then continue west through Solace P.P. Last year I did not see many people (aside from a Keewaydin camp) on the section of my trip from Florence right through to the Sturgeon.

With respect to the water levels, from what I understand the Upper Yorston is navigable all season but the lower section might be a little tricky in places. If you search around on this website and myccr.com you will find some trip reports etc.

Burt
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Burt - hope you can post a trip report when you get back from Misabi - am planning a trip later this summer/early fall .
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 713

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You will see people on the stretch up to Florence. The return will be quieter. As burt pointed out, the lower Yorston (below Yorston Lake) may not keep your feet dry. (Actually I have never understood why anyone does the lower Yorston. To me it is just a little creek stuck in the middle of nothing.)
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you hit the right water levels, the Yorston below Seagram Lake can be a delightful float. Between Linger Lake and what I call Lunch Lake (a small lake to the east of Marcia Lake) are a series of short portages around picturesque drops and exquisite rapids that can be a blast in a little solo boat. This can make for either an action-packed morning on a very long day if you're Sturgeon-bound, or can form a very relaxing short day if you plan to camp at Lunch Lake.

Between Lunch Lake and the bridge about 7 km downstream are some more small rapids, including a more challenging set I call 'No Picnic' (marked Track 250 on Hap's description), before the meandering reaches of the "old" Yorston are encountered.

The meanders I find endlessly monotonous, but the upper part of the lower river can be quite pleasant. Travelling in the spring, I've never encountered a soul on this river.

Of course, without sufficient water the rapids would pose serious problems, a condition we encountered late this May causing us to hop through Yorston Lake to the Sturgeon River from Seagram Lake.

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 136

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why do people paddle the lower Yorston?

Because it's there!
Also it is only the hardy that paddle the Yorston River, especially in spring upstream.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think people are trekking into the Misabi Range because of the potential damage that logging operations may cause. I know that my original plan was to investigate the entire Wakimika-Florence connection, but instead I am settling for an abbreviated version of this trip.

Thanks to Ottertooth for bringing places like this to light, it really is a shame that despite all we know about clear-cut logging that our government continues to allow them to happen.

Now if only someone would advise me as to fish species in the area <wink> maybe I could be convinced to post a trip report .....
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 714

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Make no mistake, one of the best ways to see an area go downhill fast is to advertise its fish species. Here I am talking about the resulting ATV and snowmobile intrusions that follow. They will hammer a lake and the area will be hit with collateral damage.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Damn fishermen. I don't know how many intrepid fishermen are on these forums checking things out, but for the sake of safety, I rescind my former request. There is some information available through MNR so I'll check things out there.

10 more days and I'm off ... can't wait.
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I understand the concern over ATV and sled access to these remote lakes for fish beit speckles or other. Many areas do have access barriers in place to prevent ATV use. As for winter it depends totally on the conditions of the ice and snow. Some of the small lakes can be covered in 2+ feet of slush. Unless you are riding a 700cc and over sled with a good track, you should know there is no point in even going to such lakes. I have seen groups of visitors have a grand old time cursing while pushing and pulling their sleds with not much progress. Not much fishing gets done while doing that. No fish is worth that much work.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 715

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ojig, good points, but I have never seen an ATV barrier that worked. Nor does there seem to be a lake that hasn't been visited by those folks -- yes, the ones on the edge of being committed to a psychiatric cell -- who will push and pull their sleds through the worst that nature will toss at them.

Now you're probably thinking, "That Brian, he should get a life."
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

Looks like we're going to have to modify our
Slushmaker Design AGAIN...

Seems like some of the 700cc's are starting to get past us now?

Sundown

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 716

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think we all wish it was possible to prevent ATVs and snowmobilers from getting into the areas we consider sacred .... at least the ones who go in, trash a campsite, leave their garbage everywhere and then rip a portage to shreds on their way out. It's always a small percentage that defines the whole, and no different in this case. I can say many, many bad things about canoeists/backcountry hikers that I have seen, although I will concede that the sheer amount of destruction that an ATV or snowmobile can cause in a single trip is amazing.

So no talking about all the huge fish that I'm going to catch. Gotcha.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home