Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Looking for detail on paddling Pilgrim Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 137

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone with information on the viability of paddling down the Pilgrim Creek in early to mid Sept. this year.

Details on waterlevels, portages, campsites, travel times, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

From reports this year I understand water levels to be above average and wonder if this trend will continue to make this creek a good float.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 721

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The only people I know of who have ever been down it are Hap Wilson and Ted Krofchak, a few years ago, so not sure if there is anyone out there who would have much of an idea, other than them.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 138

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow, talk about the route less traveled !

I was thinking that ottertooth.com member doublebend had been down there quite recently.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Al,
Where do you want to start and end?
Pilgrim Creek has very little water except early in the season and I don't think you can count on the rain. Seems to me it would be "walking -in-the-water-pulling-the-canoe" trip!
I'd try emailing Hap or find Ted (wherever he may be)

(Message edited by Otter Mel on July 27, 2007)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 723

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Al, there isn't a route-less-traveled without your name on it.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Al,

Was away for the weekend.

I traveled down the Pilgrim from Solace Lake to the Sturgeon in the spring of 2003. The route I took parallels that shown in Hap’s 2004 printing of the Temagami Canoe Routes (following Solace Creek to Apollo Lake), rather than the route shown on Craig’s map. An exploration of Pilgrim Creek between Maggie and River lakes was one of the route options on my spring excursion this year that unfortunately got dropped due to low water levels.

Although I could provide a rapid by rapid, portage by portage, highlight to highlight, campsite to campsite description of the route complete with GPS tracks and waypoints, I’m very reluctant to do that; and for good reason (I think). I might consider sharing information verbally, on condition that it’s not published, but would prefer people discovered the route for themselves. More on this viewpoint in a separate post…

As to your plans for the Pilgrim this fall, I’d say, if the water levels hold, you might be OK. Think in terms of the Yorston. If you think levels are high enough to float the Yorston, they should be high enough for the Pilgrim. If not, well, you know the drill…

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks DoubleBend, the last paragraph is enough information to question the viability of this trip.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home