Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Climbing Maple Mountain < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bits

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This August I will be taking my 25th trip to Lady Evelyn. I have always wanted to climb Maple Mountain but my excuse is the fishing has been too good to take the time. Well this year, "good fishing or great fishing", me and my family (Myself,Wife, 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter)are going to climb this mountain. We stay at Mithchell's camp (between Ellen Island and Red Pine).Can anyone tell me how easy or hard it will be to access the trail head with a cedar strip and a 15 outboard? And, How long of a hike up. Will my 10 yr old daughter be OK? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 79

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bits:
My suggestions:
I would get up early the day you go and tow a 16 foot canoe with you that is big enough to carry the 4 of you. Park the motor boat at the entrance to the creek that goes to Hobart, since I doubt if you will get it up the creek in August.I would then walk the canoe up the creek to where you can get into it.There are rocks to step on along the edge so this is an easy process.Then paddle into Hobart and on to Tupper.If you got to the creek by say 8 to 9AM plus an hour and a bit up to Tupper, then 2 to 2 1/2 hours up to the top, that would put you up there by about noonish. Bring your lunch, plus lot's of water and some snacks for the kids and you should have a great day.The trip down will take less time and you should be back to your lodgings by about dinnertime.
I don't think a 10 year old would have any problems with the hike.
 Link to this message

bits

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, much appreciated. I was told that the water is high this year is this true? How do you think it would be getting into diamond? 3 years ago I busted my butt getting my 16' aluminum up and over.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes it is high. At least 3 feet of water moving over the rocks into LE from Diamond in early mid May. But that will not be there in August. Why not save your back and bring your canoe, easy to put across and very quiet when you get there.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home