Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * South Lady Evelyn River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone heard anything about the south Lady Evelyn River this summer? I'm referring to the bit from south of Smoothwater Lake, passing north of Florence Lake, to the junction where it meets the north Lady Evelyn River. I almost did this route a few years ago, but changed my mind at the last second because of reports of really low water. Now someone else I know is thinking about trying this. Any thoughts?

Thanks once again,
amy
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well,
Low water is a relative term for some and a swear word for others.
I did this in August of 1984 and we walked in the river for a while and then took an old unmarked portage to cut off a bend in the river and then we could paddle the rest of the way.
There is some muskeg at the beginning (after the portage from Apex Lake area, don't have the map here) and you must be careful not to step out of the canoe, or you'll sink to your neck!
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 239

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The water levels in Temagami are high this year, so if you want to do the river this is the year.. I did that trip from Smoothwater to Mowat landing 15 years ago and did not have any problems. The water that year was also high and I did it the end of June. I did the North Channel and the South Channel the first week of July and both were high water levels. If I were you I woukd do it as soon as possible. The water levels are right for this time of year.
Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home