Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Upper lower temagami river trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

vez

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, I'm a 25 years old, I recently found a new love with river kayaking. I'm looking for people to run the upper and lower temagami river from the cross lake to the sturgeon river. i did the upper section yesterday upstream and then came back down. The water level was nice, i ran almost every rapid on the way back. If anyone is interested in this weekend trip with canoe or kayak. The scenery is awesome and the water is white yet runable. Let me know, i'm free every weekend.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Vez,

Would love too..since I know those rapids well..have been running them for over 25 years. We have a camp on Island just above the south Temagami River section..unfortunately I am rarely there...now that I live in Ottawa. Will let you know though...

How hard was Ragged Chute? Usually to many rocks but I noticed the water level is really high for this time of year when I was up there this past week.

Cheers
 Link to this message

vez

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Bigwolf,

Right on any weekend you want to go let me know.
It would be nice to have a "guide" for the lower Temagami since i've never been on it. I'm not familiar with the rapide names so I don't really know where Ragged Chute is situated. Maybe if you give me a reference point on Hap's map http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/Route1/c ross-r-cedar.htm

The only two set of rapides we didn't run are the one where there's like a mini island in the middle of the rapide set and the other one that almost looks like there was a man made wall of rocks along the rapides. Too many rocks and the water level was too low for that one.

Is your cottage on Red Cedar lake? I'm trying to set something up for this coming weekend, let me know.

Vez
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The cottage is on Island Lake. The small lake right after Red Cedar as you canoe to the river. My dad bought the cottage in 67 and the land claim prohibited any other buyers on the lake.

You probably did not run Island Portage (beautiful is it not) and then probably Ragged. It opens up into a fairly large bay where many old pieces of canoe can be found.

Will keep you posted on my next visits.
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Guys,

I am looking for some advice...

I am more or less a flat water type, but I have done a little white water in a canoe and my friend and I are pretty comfortable in the boat after twenty-five years or so canoeing. My friend and I are planning a trip to the Temagami area the third week in September. We are planning on doing the Martin River-Wicksteed Lake loop... start in the NE Arm, then take the Iceland Lake link to Wasaksina and down through Cross Lake to the Temagami River through Red Cedar Lake to Martin River and back up to Temagami via Wicksteed, etc. We have not yet been to this part of Temagami and would like to see it. The problem is I will be using my brother's kevlar canoe and I am concerned about damaging it. Originally I was going to try to avoid the Temagami River by going south via Jumping Caribou Lake, Hangstone Lake, etc; but I hear that that way is pretty tough due to some flooded portages at the north end. So...

Am I crazy to take a Kevlar canoe down the Temagami River? Are the rapids all either easily doable or portageable? I would appreciate your advice before I jeopardize a $2500 canoe that doesn't belong to me.

I would really appeciate your comments.

Thanks,

Chris
 Link to this message

vez

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I only did the upper section of the Temagami River so I can only speak for that section. You shouldn't have any problems if you portage, the trails are nice and cleaned out. I'm a kayak man myself so its hard to say. So to answer your question some rapids are easily doable, others I would not do with a plastic kayak. However they are all easily done by portage.

Just one thing Wicksteed is south of Marten River. Are you planning on going to Temagami from Marten River and then back to wicksteed? What route?
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Vez,

The trip is mostly Route #3 in Hap Wilson's book, although the Iceland Lake link is a bit of Route #8 and a bit of Route #5. The basic route will be:

- put in at Temagami or via Strathcona Road
- Southwest on NE Arm about 10k to Iceland Lake
- South to Cross Lake and down the Temagami River
- East through Red Cedar Lake to the Martin River
- Continue East to Wicksteed Lake then head North
- Continue North through Boyce Lake, Lower then Upper Redwater Lakes, Rabbit Lake and Cassels Lake then West through Snake Island Lake to the town of Temagami and the car

We are planning on about seven days and hoping for good weather. The last time we went to Temagami this late in the season it was pretty cold and wet!!

Cheers,

Chris
 Link to this message

vez

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

You will only have to do the upper portion of the Temagami River so you shouldn't have any problems.

Have fun.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chris

I know the section quite well although I have not run them this year. It's a high water year so that should help. The upper and lower temagami can be bony especially in low water. Be especially vigilant on a few of the runs to protect your brother's canoe. If in doubt, portage, most should be do-able depending on your canoe skills.

Good luck
 Link to this message

scouterfred

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello:

(First post, please forgive any Rookie mistakes)

I just finished this route with the Kincardine Venturers. We put in at Marten River PP, and paddled to Marten Lake, Wicksteed, Boyce, Chokecherry, L&U Redwater, Rabbit/Cassels/Snake Island, Temagami, S.Tetapaga River, Iceland, Driftwood, Wasaksina, Cross, Temagami River, Red Cedar, Marten River. We took ten easy days (including a static day on Wasaksina)with a re-supply at Temagami.

The water in the Temagami river (and everywhere) is high. There is a stump or log river left in the upper reaches of the Heron's Leg (and a green canoe stuck half-way down). The notch (in the Keel hauler) has lots of water, and so does the lower rock garden section. The last rapid on the river before Red Cedar has lots of water, and huge standing waves, be prepared to get wet.

The first portage on the S. Tetapaga river is horrible. (Don't let the first 200m fool you!) The portage from Iceland to Driftwood is OK, except DO NOT GO RIGHT near the end; it is a knee-deep muddy mess. And, the Guide description of the portage from Wasaksina to Cross is somewhat generous. You'll be glad of the Kevlar boat there!

Our boats acquired a few new beauty marks along the way. (I wrapped my boat around a rock half-way down Heron's Leg, but it's Royalite, so it just unfolded once we freed it and bailed it out)

Is there an appropriate place to post a complete trip report?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 147

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello scouterfred,

Post your trip report under a new thread title in the Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel forum. I will look forward to reading it.
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, September 2, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all of your input. Sounds like this is a do-able trip and I am really looking forward to it. The weather looks like it is going to hold too, at least for now... but this is Temagamim where the weather has a mind of it's own.

Cheers,

Chris

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home