Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Using a touring kayak in Temagami region < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mooman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any comments would be appreciated regarding whether using a kevlar/fiberglass sea kayak (Swift "Caspian Sea") would present any particular problems for someone on the Temagami-Obabika-Diamond-Temagami loop. Are there landings that are not solid rock or boulder? Are the portage trails at all suitable for a portage cart/wheel rig? I'm planning a first trip to the region and need to decide whether to use a kayak (preferred) or a canoe.
Thanks.
Mooman
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Moonman,

Temagami portages are not generally suitable for a wheel rig. Temagami-Obabika is ~900 m, and could concievably be done with one, but the Wakimika-Diamond portage is far too rocky and steep for a wheel rig, Diamond-Temagami is far too rocky as well, but short (<100 m.). Bottom line, I'd say use a canoe and not a kayak.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a kayaker as well.
What is the empty weight of your Caspian?
Are you paddling solo?
 Link to this message

mooman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Caspian is about 45# or so. Not going solo.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would be tempted to take the yak?
Half the weight of mine.
Do you have a yoke for it?
How long are you out?
 Link to this message

mooman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planning on a week or more, and also planning some optional loop routes, not just Obabika-Diamond. I'm interested in the "Knupack" system, which uses a frame backpack with what amount to oarlocks mounted as frame extensions. This should work great for a canoe, but I can't figure out how to carry the rigid frame on my kayak without compromising performance, plus how to also have on deck the spare paddle, paddle float, pump, day bag, and such--the usual deck clutter of stuff that should be at hand. The frame definitely would not go inside! I've been wracking the brain on some sort of thing that sits on the shoulders, clamps on the cockpit rim, would be small enough to not to too much of a pill while not in use, the idea being to be able to carry the kayak inverted, like a canoe, and not slung over the shoulder, back twisted, shoulder hurting, tripling the carry.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Adventure Guide in Waterloo sells small shoulder pads with a locking assembly to go on the rim of the cockpit.Looks adjustable.
You will have to do multiple carries on the portages.Unpack and repack in larger packs or bags.
Pain in the a.....

Got enough room in the yak for a weeks gear?
How long is the yak?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Mooman:
That Knupack stuff looks like like quality equipment. I will be looking at that for my next pack purchase.

For me that is about every second year or so. Next season for sure.It looks as if it is well made and addresses the problems found with other packs.

Thanks for the tip.
(for others... go to Google and type in "Knupack"
good stuff in that site.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 93

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mooman:
Adventure Guide is in Waterloo Ontario.Probably a US store has the same equipment as Kim has mentioned.

Kim does Whitesquall near Parry Sound (Carling) have any portage stuff for Yaks???

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Their web page shows a portage cart.I have not been in there since last fall so I am not sure if they have anything else for portaging. Great store and staff!Lots of kayaking gear in there at decent prices.
You can even test paddle a yak there.
Want to go up Ed?
Might convert you yet?
 Link to this message

mooman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kim,
I looked and didn't find a web site for Adventure Guide in Waterloo. Could you provide same?
Thanks
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Adventure Guide (Waterloo, Ontario)
http://www.advguide.com/

Knu-Pack website
http://www.knupac.com/index.html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home