Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Route Recommendation Please < Previous Next >

Link to this message

oc3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello All,

We are in the process of planning a September trip and are having some difficulty nailing down not only a region but also a route!

A couple of weeks ago we just finished a 5 day excursion on the upper French river which was really great! For our fall trip we thought we would tour down the Spanish however we are having second thoughts and have started to look into the Temagami area. No one from our team of four have ever been to Temagami but by all accounts it sounds like a great area to visit!

Specifically we would like to get some feedback with regard to some potential routes approximately 5 days in length with an access point not greater than 6 hours from the Toronto area. As for trip type we certainly enjoy river tripping and moderate white water but are not opposed to flat water as we also like the challenge of portaging. Solitude and great scenary is must...

Looking forward to getting some feedback ...

Thanks in advance,

John
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 97

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

oC3:
Do you have a Temagami Canoe Route Planning Map and maybe a copy of Hap Wilson's Temagami Guide book?
If you have, at least the planning map we could help you to pick a route(s)for consideration.
 Link to this message

oc3

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed,

Yes we do have map... one of the guys on the team picked one up earlier this week! I have yet to get my hands on it - I am picking it up tomorrow (Thursday)...

As for Hap's book I actually caught the tail end of an interview with Hap on a local Toronto TV station a couple of weeks back... it sounded quite good and I may make a run to chapters to pick up a copy...

Thanks... will circle back once I have time to review the map...

John
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 98

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

oC3:
The most popular and busiest trip, but maybe not so in September, is to start at the end of the Central Access road, on Lake Temagami where there is parking and go North up the Lake to Sharp Rock Inlet, into Diamond then Wakimika, to Obabika, through to Obabika Inlet into Lake Temagami and back to the Central Access road (Mine road) .This is an easy 4 day trip that can be done in 3 days if you hustle. To extend it a bit, enjoy Diamond and on Obabika, do the Old Growth Trails in the North East end. They will take 2 to 4 hours. If you are planning to go in late September join us for the "Changing of the Seasons Ceremonies" ,somewhere around the 3rd. week of September on the weekend(a notice should appear soon on the canoe websites). There are motorboats on Temagami, maybe a few fishers on Diamond and maybe one or 2 boats on Obabika. But then again you might be lucky and not see any on those lakes.

A different trip would be to go up to Mowat Landing, further North on #11 and then West into Lady Evelyn . Paddle West to Sucker Gut. Go South on Sucker Gut and then North into Hobart and Tupper and do the Maple Mountain Trail, then go back to Sucker Gut and South to Willow Island then hop back to Lady Evelyn through the 2 portages on the East side, then North on Lady Evelyn and back or you could also go through Sugar Lake and into the East side of Lady Evelyn and back to Mowats Landing that way. You would have to hustle a bit to do this in 5 days and hope the weather (wind) was with you on the Lady Evelyn.
There are variations on the Dianmond,Wakimika Obabika trip. You could start from the Red Squirrel road , North of Temagami by going in the road to Ferguson Bay on Lake Temagami.Starting from there you could go West across the 825 metre portage into Sharp Rock and then Diamond etc. or go South to Devil Bay and portage into Obabika Inlet and then into Obabika Lake and North to Wakimika and Diamond etc.

Perhaps some others here have some further suggestions for a 5 day trip.

If you had a few more days, then there are a lot more trip possibilities.
 Link to this message

erik

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maybe this is an ambitous 5 day trip that I have planning but my group will be putting in at Mowat's landing, west accross Lady Evellyn south to the the Falls portages (Bridal Veil, Fatmans etc.) through Willow Island and Sucker Gut Lakes to Lady Evelyn Lake and back to Mowat. I figure the paddling distance to be about 80 KM with 17 portages. Has anyone done this route. Is 5 days too few?

Just came back from Blueberry Lake and Lorraine... beautiful.

Best to all,
Erik
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

erik:
It can be done if you are prepared for long days of paddling on the lakes and if you are very well organized on the portages..... Also the wind must be with you on the lakes.
Leaving Mowats by say late morning you could make the top of Sucker Gut before dark. From there you could go to Franks Fall and up to Katherine Lake by that night. The third day you could go down the South channel and get somewhere up on Willow Island that night leaving 2 days to get back by say early to mid afternoon on the 5th day.

Unless..... the wind hits you on the top end of Lady Evelyn as you are going West.If it does you would have to paddle very early in the morning to make up the distance, hopefully before the wind came up again.

Some of the portages on this route are difficult, Centre Falls, Helen Falls and on the way back Fat Man's come to mind as being more taxing than the average portage.

"may the wind be with you"

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home