Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Fishing Route Suggestions? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

deylenj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Im looking for suggestions on a good route to take. Ive never been to Temagami before and was blown away from the possibility to routes to take. Were planning for a seven day trip and the main focus is fishing. Theirs four of us in are group and were all taking kayaks. so sort portages would be a good thing but we all have young backs so its not necessary. Were mainly looking for a lake with an abundance of northern pike but we would also like to hook into a lake trout or two if possible. also ive never could brook trout or rainbow trout before and would like to travel to a good stream that we might have a decent chance to do so. We would like a loop so we don't have to back tract to much. Any suggions???
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey deylenj, if you get up into Lady Eveyln Lake (easily within a three day paddle if the wind is with you or you have a sail tarp) there is a stream mouth called Sugar Creek, the northern love to play in the reeds there. Have caught some good 12-15" pike in there. But, most shallow waters with reeds at the edge that dip deep quickly are great northern territory especially if the wind and waves are coming inshore with a bit overcast. Also, look for beaver lodges and cast close in. Northerns love those! Sorry I can't think of anywhere I've caught lake trout on the Lady or other nearby areas. I can tell you some wonderful walleye spots if you might be interested in a little different fishing. What kind of fishing are you doing? Lure, worms? Jig head?
 Link to this message

deylenj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 7, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey thanks for responding it will give me some place to start my planning. Were not going to use any live bait just all artifilical. For pike i usally use a spinner or spoon, maybe even a top water plug, what do you recamend? Yeah i do allot of jigging so if you know some good walleye spots that would be helpful. Do you know if their are any trout is suger creek that we might have a far chance at??? Where i live in ohio we dont have trout so it would be nice to catch somthing ive never cought. Kayaks are fast so i dont see it as a problum but isnt their a place we can throw are kayak in closer then a three day paddle???
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi again,
We use spoon for northern and usually the 4" spoons work well. As far as trout go, have never seen one in that neck of the woods or on Sugar Creek for that matter. Where in Ohio do you live? I'm originally from New London, OH near Ashland/Mansfield area. Sorry I don't know of any place closer to put in as I've always traveled to Mowats Landing and we traveled in from there. Kayaks are great. What kind do you have? As far as walleye go, The Narrows near Willow Island mouth is very productive in August and September - lots of structure under the water. How are your travel plans going?
Best to you.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home