Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Route Advice Please < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mlc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello! I'm in the process of organizing a first trip into Temagami in late August/early September with a group of 5. We are all fairly experienced flatwater paddlers and portagers.
We are hoping to access the area via Beauty Lake Road to the Lady Evelyn River Gate, paddle down the Lady Evelyn River to Katherine Lake, then down the South channel of the Lady Evelyn River, up Willow Island Lake to Sucker Gut, down the North Channel and back to the gate. We're planning on completing this route in 5 or 6 days. I would appreciate any advice on the condition of the access road, the route we're planning (esp. water levels, difficult portages, etc.), and any other general advice.

Thanks!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

mlc:
I have not driven the road, but I was walking on it, this spring north of where you are proposing to put in. It is rough,but having said that vehicles were driving on it. I would not try it with a car, but a truck or light van (not a minivan) would make it.There are spots crossing the LE river south of Kaa lake that are brutal and where culverts are partially washed out.
If you go, drive with caution and take it easy.

It might be helpful if Blackfly stepped in here and gave us an update on the Beauty Lake road. Assuming he has been down it lately.

As to the route you are choosing, it could be done in 5 to 6 days. From your start point at the Gate , the water levels should be OK, but you may have to do some lining down (or up going back).I would not try to start on the river much north of where you are planning to start in September.Unless there has been a lot of rain,the levels will be seasonally low.
The best description of the portages is given in Hap Wilson's book Canoeing and Kayaking in Tamagami. I would suggest you purchase a copy, available in most outdoor stores.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home