Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Brian'sTripThrough the Rain Forest < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 107

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well Brian, where did you go on your canoe trip?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 237

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It wasn't much of a paddling trip. First, I got off late, as you know, because of my back, ie. old back acting like a different back for this back. Then I had to limit my portaging, so I did more work scouting areas for the Lake Temagami portion of the atlas. So portaging was into the little lakes off Lake Temagami from Kokoko, Spawning, Shiningwood and Cross bays.

So it wasn't anything glamourous, but it was better than nothing. And the old back after paddling therapy is acting more like the old back...again. That's good news. (Of course, being around Lake Temagami is bad because so many people know me and I am forced oh, the pain to enjoy their gracious hospitality...which in the rain means a hot meal, a waterproof roof, a dry bed and a break from the incessant buzz of voracious skitters.)
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 75

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian,
I am sorry your trip was so bad. With your bad and the rain it must have been He?? to accept the bad hospitality of the Temagami Lake people give you a dry place to get away from the rain and the skeeters. Only you would except that kind of treatment. The rest of us would just be out in the cold rain and live with the skeeters. You are so hard done by. Ha!Ha!
Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 239

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Isn't life cruel? Between brews, of course.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 108

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well Brian, what can I say. A dry bed and all the accoutrements that come with it, free meals, free booze, good conversation etc.has got to be a lot better than a Henessey Hammock stretched between 2 trees in a very wet bush. So Brian Back, if you didn't have to use that contraption in the heavy rain, then you did well, very well on your trip, in spite of your back.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yo Brian,

Need expert "Northmen" like U out-ther active in tha bush. Yer tha eyes & ears fer all of us.
U make our trips much more safer.
Yer information no-how, + yer range of
experience, & yer understanden of tha
lay-of-tha-land, makes our trips easier.
Brian,we need U strong, fit & healthy.
Strenthen yer arms, legs, stomach, & that will
compensate/or counterbalance an arch round weak back, so not to compress/or smash disk down on nerves. Cable lat-machine, may-be what U need.
See any wildlife about?
Yer as good as U feel, Heya!
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone been on the Temagami River lately. I flew over it yesterday, with all the rain it looks awsome. If you are looking for some white water the Tem. River is full!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 109

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bush_pilot:
There will probably be a few takers for that one, when they see your suggestion.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 241

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, just got back from cub camp with my youngest. Now, who said the Hennessy didn't work in the rain? The only and I stress, only reason I didn't use it this time is because I was concerned about my back. Now that I am recovering I will go back to it. Love that thing. Actually have made a few customizations that should improve its overall performance.

Have you tried one?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 110

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I looked at the specs. for it and decided that it was not sufficiently robust to handle my dog as well as myself.

In fact to be perfectly honest,I don't think it would be able to hold me, even without the dog.
For that to happen, I would have to give up beer for at least a year.

Oh Well!!!! I think I will stick to my tent.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 243

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My model is rated to 200 lbs. but you can get the "Big Boy" model then you can have your beer and drink it too.

As for the dog, tell him to get his own.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
As Brian says, there is a heavy-duty model (up to 250 lbs I think) and since you are only 249lbs. and Pepper 1lb. it should work.
Just don't bring more than the usual 1 oz of food for him.
Mel
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, all. I've got the 250 lb model ('Expedition'), and used it Mon-Fri for four months last year in El Salvador (while drilling water wells as a volunteer). So hey, that even fits this thread's original rainforest title!

I found it very comfy when I had a sore back (quite often, due to the daily hauling of drill pipes). I didn't get much chance to test the rain fly, though, as I usually hung it under the roof of a school or church porch. Hah, and the netting was mostly bat-poop-proof, in case you're interested -- vampire bats, to tell the truth!
...Terry

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home