Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * S. Lady E. River-Whitemud to Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jani

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Given present high water conditions, would the Whitemud to Florence River section of the S. Lady Evelyn be likely to be passable in the next couple of weeks? Or is this fed strictly by spring run-off as Hap's books indicate?

We are thinking of taking in Ispatina Ridge from the Beauty L. Road access. If Whitemud-Florence section is canoeable, we would have a circle route on the way back by heading over through Duff L. and up to Gamble/Sunnywater/Smoothwater.

Many Thanks
Jani
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 240

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not a route you hear much about, but some of it will clearly be fed by runoff, given the large area it drains. I think the other issue is going to be deadfalls.
 Link to this message

jani

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Brian! Just seemed lke a good year to try some of those high-water-only routes; I'm beginning to feel like Mrs. Noah down here in SW Ont. We're still undecided on this route as it looks like a lot of portaging and--must be the year for it--Darling Husband did in his back in early July. It's just not coming 'round as fast as it did in his younger days either. I don't fancy having to haul him, Sam the Tripper Dog, and all the gear out single handed from Beyond the Black Stump.....still, it's tempting with the water levels up. If we do this route, we'll be sure to take at least a saw for the deadfalls. Meanwhile, I have DH working on the Honey Dew list to see how his back stands up(Canoebear could relate to this). If it can't stand the stress, we may be doing the L. Tem Tour, sans dry roofs and cold brews......oh well.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 242

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have never done that route either, and always wanted to. Yes, the rains do make it tempting. But with the bad back (having been there) and without some very recent first-hand info on the route, I would err on the side of caution. There are so many other high-water-friendly routes that are known and don't carry the same risk of the unknown. Just my humble take.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do a search either here or on CCR.
I posted some info on the South branch some time ago and can't remember where.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I posted the info on June 15.2004. in this Forum
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 244

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's Otter_mel's previous posting:
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/show.cgi?tpc=3&po st=1323#POST1323

Do you know of anyone doing it more recently?
 Link to this message

jani

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Think we'll leave this one 'til later and fitter! Thanks for all the great advice, Otter Mel and Brian. Right now some sort of loop through the S. Muskego is looking good.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home