Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Fergusson to Florence, Evelyn River and rtn < Previous Next >

Link to this message

evan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Perhaps someone out there could assist. My wife and I, experienced trippers but Temagami rookies, are planning a trip to the region later this month.

The tenantive plan will take us along the following loop: Fergusson bay --> thunderhead and Canton Lakes --> obabika --> wakimika --> Dorothy --> Pinetorch --> Ames Creek --> Florence Lake --> Lady Evelyn River --> Diamond Lake --> Sharp Rock Inlet --> Fergusson bay

I have 2 questions: (1) is this route advisable/possible; (2) how long will it take?

My instict tells me yes to (1) and 7 days for (2). Worth noting that we rarely get passed on the lakes by other paddlers and we are extremely fast portagers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 77

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

evan,
The Thunderhead and Canoton Lakes route is not a well used route. You may find it quite difficult. Wakimika to Florence Lake could also be quite difficult do to the not being used much. Ames Creek and the Lady Evelyn River with the high water this year could be fine but you may run into some Lift overs and/or blowdowns. Since I have not been in that area for awhile I do not know. I would say it would be a tough trip but duable with some long days. Do not forget to stop and walk the Old Growth Trails and you will be canoeing right by Shish Kong (Spirit Rock).
Have a nice and safe trip. Will be awaiting your trip report when you get back. Others may be able to give you more info.
Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 245

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, the entire route is possible. The portages are all there. But as Hillbilly implied, there is a lot of portaging. Unless you are fit, travelling very light, and are ultrafast canoe marathoners, I don't see that you have enough days planned.

But some portions of the trip are less used (Thunderhead section and Wakimika-Florence) and therefore you have the advantage of solitude, and Beaver Lake near Pinetorch is one of my favorite lakes.

So I think you instincts are accurate.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This route could be done in 8 days, but that's pushing it, considering that you are going upstream and doing the one miler from Nasmith creek UPHILL to get to the small lakes leading to Pinetorch.
I did virtually the same route in 1997 and we were slowed down by portaging in difficult conditions (wet, blowdowns, and were one day late for a rendezvous at Pinetorch) which made for long days to get out via Florence and North branch of Lady Evelyn to Ferguson Bay.
I suppose you'll be taking the South branch to get to Diamond via the 2.5 miler?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 246

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Otter_mel, Jay Morrison and Tom Angelakis cleaned all the portages between Wakimika and Chapin lakes by last May, and I did it in August. I haven't heard about any blowdowns since.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home