Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Newbie looking for help! < Previous Next >

Link to this message

andy_q

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wonderful board. Anyone willing to suggest a route for me? Myself and my family (wife and two strong, healthy boys) are planning 4 - 5 days in Temagami region mid August. We have done lots of Algonquin interior trips but really nothing too difficult. No white water as my wife would kill me! One boy likes to camp but is wary of overly arduous portages. So I guess I'm looking for a trip that involves mainly flat water, relatively easy portages, and hopefully some beautiful scenery!! Sounds like I want my cake and plan to eat it too!! Don't be afraid to tell me I'm deluding myself. Any and all comments most welcome. I do have a canoe route map of the region.
Andy
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 247

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This year has been quieter than previous, likely due to the poor weather earlier. Which means the most popular routes are less crowded, like the Temagami-Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika circuit. You might want to consider it this year.
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, Andy. I enjoyed route no. 11 three weeks ago (my first and only Temagami trip - got route 4 planned for next week!) It was basically two days going up Obabika Lake then two days going down Obabika River, with two 2-hour hikes in the old growth forest at the top of the lake in-between.

It was all flat water, with just a couple of short portages and one 1 km one to start the trip off. However there were also 6-8 lift-overs across log jams -- quite fun! Best of all, riding the slow but very wriggly river was very enjoyable, and we got to creep up on lots of birds and even a couple of beavers.
...Terry
 Link to this message

andy_q

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks - I'm not entirely sure what the route numbers refer to though. I have an old MNR map entitled "Temagami Canoe Routes". Are these the numbers that you are referring to?
BTW - what is Rabbit Lake like? A friend suggested it!
Andy
 Link to this message

andy_q

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I found the route you mentioned! I gather you began your trip at the 1km portage shown between Wawiagama Lake and Obabika Lake. How do I get there?!!! Is there an access road? Is there parking!! Thanks

Andy
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, Andy. That's the one. For more info on the Goulart access point, check out the thread entitled Alternate Access Routes (http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/756.ht ml?1088634705, I believe). I found the section from Emerald Lake Lodge to the access point took 45 cautious minutes in my Honda Civic, with just a few bottom-scrapers.

By the way, I found Emerald Lake Lodge a great place to stay before/after the trip. Friendly (new management this year), great meals, and great prices for a cabin and meals.

...Terry
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 248

Posted on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There's a complete set of maps to get to the Obabika access at

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home