Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Mowat Landing boat shuttle? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

grinder

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello;
This is an interesting discussion board that I hope that I can contribute to in the future.

I am interested in doing the Maple Mountain loop from Mowat landing going out across Lady Evelyn and back down the Montreal River. I read hear that it takes 6 or 7 days. Is there a motorboat shuttle service in Mowat landing that could take the two of us and our canoe across Lady Evelyn on the first day to shorten the trip?

Paul
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

None that I know of. But in calm conditions you can make it to Hobart Lake in one day if you start very early. If not, camping on Lady Evelyn is not bad and the next camp should be at Turner Lake.
I did this loop in 8 days in 1983 with the hike included.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 250

Posted on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A couple of the lodges have been known to provide shuttle service.

Try Barr Woods Resort 705-679-8664, Amy and Bob Burrows. I think that number is still correct. They are at Mowat's.

Michell's Camp might also be able to help: 705-676-2116. They are located at the dam.
 Link to this message

grinder

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you for assisting my "cheating" by not paddling the whole way.

It sounds like we could cut the trip short by about half a day with this shuttle and maybe hike maple on the first day; but it would be tight.

Paul

Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is no way you could do the hike the first day unless you're an olympic runner and can go,uphill fast!!.
It takes an entire day to get up and back and you want to spend some time on top as well.
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Check out 'cmkl's "Trip Report: Touring Temagami", on the Temagami General forum, posted Aug 9th. On Day 3 he climbed Maple Mountain in an hour each way -- yup, he was running, due to other circumstances, and he recommends more time. But you can still fit some paddling into that day nonetheless.
...Terry
 Link to this message

grinder

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 1, 2004 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you for your help we used Mitchells at the damm and for $125 he got us to Sucker Gut Lake in just over an hour. We did maple on the second day returning to our camp on the first lake north of Sucker Gut for the second night as well. I guess that it took us two hours up maple mountain and an hour and something on the way back with an enjoyable hour on top. I would argue that had we arrived at Mitchell's at 8 or 9 am we could have done Maple on the first day, but the second day was preferrable.

I thought that returning through Sugar Lake worked out very well, and that part was not busy at all.
Paul
 Link to this message

scaryoldguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 8, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

BTW do you have contact information for the Mitchells? I would like contact them in advance to book this taxci service.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 387

Posted on Saturday, April 9, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Mitchell's number is in a message above.
 Link to this message

scaryoldguy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 9, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Got it.

Silly that I missed it.

BTW I did call the Mitchell's and the going rate for this year is $125 as well.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home