Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * What happened to the thunderboxes? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

street

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What happened to all the thunderboxes?

We saw no privies at Center Falls, Divide and Shangri-la.

These are all heavily used campsites, and though we were very pleased to see only a few traces of waste on these campsites (a "bumplog" near one of the tentsites on Divide which was not too difficult to dismantle and bury, it really is just a matter of time before these campsites get overrun with toilet paper and improperly buried waste.

I recognize that in an ideal world, this would not be a problem, but in the real world in which we canoe, it is.

As one of the trip reports recently pointed out, we have a solution to this problem - thunderboxes.

I thought that these campsites all had thunderboxes on them. Were they removed? Removing the thunderboxes, in my view anyway, only adds to the problem.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

2 prototype plastic defecation units were placed on Obabika recently.They are made of recycled plastic barrrels .One unit has a bucket attached to it.The bucket contains a journal ,screws and bolts,wire and twine,emerg rain poncho,TP as well as reading material.The roof and solar light are a nice touch.
 Link to this message

street

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kim, excellent work on the "PDU's." I am sure that those who visit those campsites will appreciate them. Any photos of these?
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 46

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will try to post some pics tomorrow
It is an engineering marvel
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've just returned from doing the top half of route 4 (circling the extremities of Lake Temagami) and I was also very disappointed/disgusted at how many 'two-ply trilliums' (cmkl's term, I love it!) were scattered about the trails near campsites. To be generous, maybe they were buried and eventually heaved up. But that just makes the point that 'how to sh*t in the woods' must avoid dropping your used TP in the hole you just dug (you DID did a 6" hole, didn't you?). Roll it into a tight ball (it's amazing how small they get), then plastic bag it to burn later in the campfire or pack out.

Sigh, isn't this what all the camps are teaching their kids? How can we potty train teens and adults who just don't care? Can the park make a pamphlet on Proper Practices (this topic and others) to make available at boxes at access points? Or will the pamphlets transmogrify into trilliums?
...Terry
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is kim's prototype plastic defecation unit, now residing on Ranger point. It has a bucket attached to it containing a journal ,screws and bolts,wire and twine, emerg rain poncho,TP as well as reading material. The roof and solar light is a nice touch.
I think I'll stay there next time I'm through.
Right on Kim

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beauty ....eh?
Total cost - $26.00
The uprights were left unglued so that the unit could be transported.
The roof is made out of a peice of plexiglass that I had in the garage.
The barrel is the other half of the unit that Ed built.It is on Obabika as well.
I expect the journal entries will be interesting.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great job guys!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home