Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Portages to & from Lorrain Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jojo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there,

My husband and I are heading up to Temagami for the first time (hooray!) this Friday and would like to explore the Blueberry area.

We are trying to work out a loop through the following:
- Cassels
- Obashkong
- Lorrain
- Matabitchuan
- Maxam
- Rabbit
- Sunrise
- Blueberry

Is this possible? What are the portage routes to and from Lorrain?

Any information and recommendations are very much appreciated!

Cheers!
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 88

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Use the search function to search for the words 'lorrain' AND 'portage' in the 'text of messages'. I found six threads by doing that.

That is a lovely area, and the route you describe is definitely possible.

BTW, it is currently not possible to portage from Sunrise to Blueberry. If you want to go to BL, drop in for a night on your way to Obashkong, or at the tail end of your trip. As of now, BL is a dead end lake (but very worthwhile).
 Link to this message

jojo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly -- I was hoping you'd answer! Your replies have come up a lot in my forum searches. Very helpful.

Yes, I have done a search and found the threads... I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.

North end portage:
I've read that it's off of Fiday Creek, north of Obashkona. How far up the creek is it? Is it close the small lake just before the bush road that leads to Lorrain?

South end portage:
Where is the connection to the two small lakes south of Lorrain, en route to Matabitchuan? Does it go to the east or west fork of the first lake?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
jojo
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 738

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jojo, I did the whole route a couple of weeks ago.

There is a short portage at the mouth of Obashkong Creek around a rapid. From there paddle up the creek to the big elbow. You will see that the deadfalls are no longer cut and you can't go any farther. That is where the portage to Lorrain takes out, heading northeast.

The portage into Upper Black Bear Lake comes in on the west side of Upper Bear. Although Black Bear Creek flows into the north end of Upper Bear, there is no portage there.

Not sure what you mean by the east or west fork of the first lake.

Link to this message

jojo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian.

How long did the whole route take you?

If the fist lake south of Lorrain is Upper Bear, then I meant the west or east side of the north end, which sort of forks into the shape of a U.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 739

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Excluding a side trip to Blueberry, four days. I had great water on the Matabit.

Yes, the first lake south of Lorrain is Upper Bear. Not sure what the question is. The portage from Lorrain into Upper Bear enters Bear's west shore via a very short portage. It does not enter Bear's north end.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home