Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Lookinhavg for Sat phone rental < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a 2 week Temagami solo at the end of the month. Does anyone have a sat phone they want to rent for that time? Please post or email me @ info@solotripping.com
 Link to this message

vez

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Spectrum Group in North Bay they're in the phone book.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also available aat Temagmai Outfitters in Temagami - may be wrong, but I think they charge 100.00 for the phone for a week (?) and 3 per minute for usage
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all. Brookieman, I am sure that you are back now, but for the benefit of anyone else reading:

My cellphone (Bell) worked a little bit at Mowatt Landing, and had a few spots on the way to Maple Mountain with a few bars of signal. This was all on analogue service. I was able to get a call through from the top of Maple Mountain, with full clarity, when facing East towards the cell towers way in the distance - about 50km away.

What did work well in the area were the GMRS two-way radios that I brought. A pair can be picked up from Costco for around $80. There is some use up there and you can tune into the Environment Canada weather channel (channel 2). This came in useful when stuck on the sandy beach point in Lower Lady Evelyn on a really windy day.

Hope this helps.

Ned
 Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yup, i'm back. Had an amazing trip. Ended up grabbing a sat phone from a friend. My cell phone service is with Rogers. In New Liskeard i had no problem with cell service, but 5 minutes down the road towards Mowats Landing.....nothing. Rogers doesn't have half the coverage bell does throughout northern ontario.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home