Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Fish in Three sisters/Thieving bear < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hotplate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all,

I am thinking about taking a trip through thieving bear and three sisters this summer with my son. Does anyone know how the fishing is in these lakes? What types of fish is there (LT, Pike, bass?).

I have found it difficult to find info about fish species in certain lakes...(which is a good thing in my opinion) but is there somewhere one would go to get this information? MNR? local shop in Temagami?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
 Link to this message

kookyguy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I tnink you'll find this link an exellent resource

According to it Thieving Bear has Walleye,Smallmouth,Pike Lake Trout and Whitefish. Couldn't find a Three Sisters Lake

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/ fishingExplorer_en.html
 Link to this message

hotplate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you...that is a great site. The Three Sisters is the lake just northeast of Thieving Bear. It has a beauty little narrows in it.

I'd love to understand how it works that some lakes have different species than others when they are all in the same vicinity? Or maybe its just the quality of the information? Does anyone use the theory that if its attached by river/stream and has similar traits (depth, foliage) that it must have the same species? or is that a flawed assumption...

One day i will learn this...thanks again. And if anyone else has been through three sisters (the lake that is) please let me know!!

Cheers
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I do love that link, kookyguy. I've been using it to scope out trips.

Why do two seemingly similar lakes have different species? They not as actually similar as they seemingly appear. Who knows what the fish like? They may have different watersheds and not be connected enough for migrations. Someone may have dumped pike in which competed with and ate all the brookies. Someone may have fished it out with unsupportable fishing practices.

Some of the fun is in the exploration.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home