Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * Twinkle access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm considering Twinkle lake as a put-in for my May trip this year. I wonder if the Twinkle access road is currently passable for AWD - I haven't seen reports on it since 2011. Any advice on the loop through Pinetorch lake - Talking falls - Yorston lake will be appreciated. I will have 5-6 days for this trip.
Cheers,
Sergey
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1514

Posted on Saturday, March 2, 2013 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's likely passable, but it is best to find someone who has driven it since late last year.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, March 4, 2013 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1214

Posted on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't been in to Twinkle since 2011, so I can't comment on the state of the road, but for an AWD it should be OK except for the last little bit that goes to Twinkle as the pines are growing fast and will be brushing your vehicle as you travel along.
The route from Twinkle, North on Pinetorch Creek to Pinetorch Lake is a Spring trip.
This year there is lots of snow up there so if you plan to go in
May, even the 3rd. week of May you should be OK. Unless we have an early Spring with ice -out in mid April... instead of early May.....so stay tuned.
After that you will have more rocks to look at.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks. If I understand correctly the overgrown part of the road before Twinkle lake is about 1.3km. It might be indeed too tight a squeeze for my leased car, but then I can park by the gravel pit and portage from there. I will report the conditions - I hope to be there before the blackflies.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1215

Posted on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could scratch it.
You could also bring along a pair of heavy loppers and cut the offending stuff before you hit it.
Usually this is not a continuous row of trees, but rather a few along the way that need pruning.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It would be no problem then. I usually carry loppers on the trips where I venture on unfamiliar trails, especially when they are not much in use.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home