Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Mowat Landing Access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a trip to maple mountain from Mowat Landing access at the end of the month. Is there parking at the launch? If not is there a shuttle service?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 143

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a large parking area at the end of the road (Hwy 558)which puts you into the Montreal River. A short paddle takes tou to the dam at the outlet of Lady Evelyn Lake which is a short portage up and over into the lake.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

BMan

The CarPark ( according to John Salo, Parksboss)
has "rarely ever not been safe-and-secure" to leave your vehicle.

The Liftover, at the LE Dam, costs $9.00 this year.

Good Folks run it.
Say Hi to Ma'am Mitchell fer me.

Sundown
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 144

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown,

Do I understand your post correctly, $9.00 to portage your own canoe over past the dam?
 Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i was wondering the same thing??? Who owns the dam that they can charge that anyway
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 146

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The dam is owned by Ontario Hydro, not sure of the area surrounding the dam where the portage traverses.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think it's $9.00 to portage, only $9.00 if you hire the family to drive you around the dam in their truck / trailer ( like the powerboaters do ) .
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 744

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Marty is correct. Even if you cross Ontario Power's property there is an easement or right of passage for portagers.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone.

Just returned from Maple Mountain. Here is the scoop on Mowatt. You wander up to the store and one of the kids will likely give a holler to her Dad. It is from him that you buy the park permits (although a ranger did not stop us once - didn't see any). Also, if you are up to it, you can pay him $30 for the week to park you car in the Island 10 (fishing resort) locked down car park. Otherwise you can just park in the free lot. I chose the secure lot, and the guy let us set in on the private dock and be on our way (rather than waiting for the public launch to be clear).

Easy access, but you have to be ready to just wander up to a building and knock on the door. Pretty laid back bunch of folks up there, but really helpful and friendly.

Didn't bother paying anyone at the Dam. The portage is no back breaker at all. Wouldn't waste the money. Probably be faster to book it on foot by the time the guy came down to get you.

Ned
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also planning a trip in through Mowat and I'm wondering what the drive time from Temagami to Mowat is.

And what about a cheap motel in the area? Driving up Friday night from TO, after work, rush hour traffic bringing out the flyrod (ccr folks enjoy) in me all the way to Barrie. Not going to feel like sleeping in the parking lot. I'm getting too old for that action.

7-9 days
Mowat to Maple Mountain up the N Branch & down the S Branch of L.E.River and back to Mowat. Sound about right for two of us?

Searching about, but if anyone wants to offer fishing tips I'd be happy to listen. Brookies only season, May 3 - 11.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preach!
Go to Travelodge in North Bay, (not that cheap but if shared, bearable). We always stay in NB on our way to Temagami.
It'a about 2-2.5 hours from there to Mowat Landing.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home