Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Ames creek from Twinkle - W and N to Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

One more question about travelling from Twinkle access: for August trip, presumably in low water, is Ames creek passable from Twinkle lake to Linger and then from Pine lake to Florence?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1219

Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You will have to use the portages in August to go from Twinkle to Linger.You may have to wade some parts of the creek as you travel downstream, but it should be all doable.There was a new tree fall across the creek just after the 1st portage from Twinkle, but you can c/o an island and carry on downstream.
I presume you are going to go to Pine Lake via the Seagram Lake and the Yorston River.
From Pine to Florence is usually OK except for Skooztagan which is a bit unpredictable if the water levels are really low.
You might want to ask about conditions on Skooztagan a few weeks before your planned trip to see if there is recent information available.

How are you getting back to Twinkle... by shuttle?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

we have done ames from the pinetorch route to florence in august and it was easy going, but then again not all augusts are created equal- so i would listen to ed.
you would't want to do it in a dry year as it is pretty shallow the whole way (& i had a feeling there was a lot of mud down there).
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your help! It sounds reassuring.

ed, no shuttle - we don't have a second car anyway. I was thinking something like figure-eight, for example: W. by Ames creek to Seagram, N. to Mudchanel, E. to Pine lake and N. to Florence, then Yorston river to Yorston lake and back to Twinkle. I expect to be in the area in May and adjust August plans according to what I see for myself.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1220

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have a good trip eddy-turn.
 Link to this message

daveb

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Skooztagan. Too wet to walk and too dry to paddle.

my picture

my picture_b
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1221

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Dave B that picture tells a lot.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks daveb! Of course, it's all about fun. I wonder if I shall leave my farmjack in the car or pack it with me.
 Link to this message

daveb

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We had a section of canoes pass through there in August of 2011 when there were numerous forest fires in the area.

Our guys watched a MNR helicopter try and fail to pick-up a load of water from Skooztagan before giving up and flying away. Must look like open water from the air.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 1:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

there is a very nice small 1-2 tent campsite at the extreme SE end of Ames Lake, on top of a small rock mound.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

eddy-turn:
I carry one in my truck, but so far I have never needed to use it.
There are a few wet spots in the early Spring, but mostly dry by late May.

By the way... the portage from Seagram into Yorston is an uphill beast. Better to go along Seagram and use the portage into Linger.
If you do go into Yorston, there is a campsite ( Moose Hunt Camp also) a bit west of where the portage hits the road before Yorston. Nice lake site, if you don't look too closely at the Moose camp that will be behind you.( You can reach the campsite by walking along the road. No need to go down to the lake, load and then unload again.)
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed, it's like my first aid kit: never used anything but bandaids. Same goes for a tool kit - haven't opened it since I broke a yoke on the very first day of my very first trip. I'd say my trip list is around 200 items long and 15-20% of them are never touched. On the other hand I've never missed anything on a trip except for the last year when I took my wife's pants instead of mine: paddling was ok, but portages...
Thanks for advice: Yorston portage certainly looks ominous, even on topo. Still might try it. As of today the steepest I encountered was a newly cut trail - 2nd from Wolf to Laundry. My knees were dirty after that one.

grncnu, thank you for the tip - this site looks as a good stop on the last night before Florence.

(Message edited by Eddy Turn on March 29, 2013)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1223

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So Wolf to Laundry was nasty.
From the road to the pond is OK?
But that small section at the start of the uphill climb is a bit nasty?
It is an old nastawgan with very large old growth blazed trees in that section that parallels the creek.
Was there much water in the beaver pond? Were you able to paddle it to the start of the portage? When did you do that trip?

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 32

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wife and I went to Marjorie in early May 2012 and saw a green canoe parked on Wolf at the beginning of the portage. Later George Robbins told us it was a local crew restoring old nastawgan. Trying it out was one of the highlights of my next trip in July (as well as a restored portage from Doon to Matagamasi). And it was the uphill from the pond that got me on my knees. If I had a larger tandem boat instead of my slim solo I'd need my partner's help, I guess, to keep the boat vertical. Other than that it was no problem - from the road to the pond was easy and the pond itself had enough water in July. This is very beautiful trail, much better - if not easier - than the "old" one by the road. Its character is in harmony with the area.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1224

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good to hear there was enough water in the beaver pond to float along it, because the dam at the bottom end was not looking too healthy in the Spring. A big chunk was missing from the centre and the water level was a lower than usual.

Did you have any problem following the trail through Doon to Matagamasi?

Did you see the Blue Heron nesting area on the island in Doon. I was through there in early May and there were about 6 families using the island?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I guess the beavers took care of their dam by July. I don't remember seeing herons on Doon. The trail to Matagamasi was mostly non-existant as a trail per se - probably not enough people trodded it, but following the blazes was no problem at all. I was a bit confused finding the landing on Doon.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1225

Posted on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll pass your comments on to the local portage clearers.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home