Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Sinton Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hello all, been scrutinizing alscool's fot map and came across a route i've never heard of. this route goes Cross L.- Loon L.- Sinton Cr.- then back to the Temagami R. via Shallowpan, Beavertooth, Lynne, and Clearview Lakes.
alscool, i am unclear on whether you can continue down Sinton Creek to rejoin the Temagami River below Lavergne Rapids?
If so this would create a very interesting loop possibility enabling the canoeist to do the heart of the Temagami River, then loop back up to Cross Lake.
anyone know anything about these routes???
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 377

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This little used route came to FOT from a member associated with Camp Temagami who knows the area well. His note was ... the creek continues down to Shallowpan and across Beavertooth, Lynn, Ewart, Clearview, Temagami River. It's pretty in there, and none of the trailer parks. We cleared it a few years ago, and went through it a second time the next year. In between, someone had gone through and cleaned it up real nice with a chainsaw.

Curly may know more.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks alscool, and thanks once again for that amazing map!
looking at the 1:50,000 map the lower part of Sinton Creek doesn't look steep though it may be shallow... and according to the Nastawgan map it was once a travelled route....
how great would it be to have a return route from lavergne back to cross without having to go all the way to the sturgeon!?
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can this route actually be done. If I remember the access point from the lower sturgeon this would be a very narrow channel with potentially long portages and potentially a lot of carry overs. Having said that I would love to try it. Can you point me to exactly where there are maps or info sources. If I do this trip this summer I will post a report
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 394

Posted on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can put you in touch with the person who gave us this account, if you would like. I'm not sure that his input would add much, we put it all on the map. The only differences will be mistakes in transcribing his input, or changes over time.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 66

Posted on Friday, April 5, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can you send me the link to the map so I can take a look at it to see all the details. Thank you very much.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 378

Posted on Friday, April 5, 2013 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bigwolf, the FOT Adventure Planning Map is for sale in paper format. There is no online view.

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/back

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home