Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * "canton lakes" < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 22, 2013trailbill25 05-22-13  6:46 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trailbill,

I envy you having the time to spend up there. I can only get up there a handful of times each year. But, I have been going for over forty years and acquired a substantial personal database of information about the more less trodden areas. I try to stay away from the heavily populated routes and that led me to do more trailblazing.

In the past 5 years, I have been exploring the east side of the tracks, east of Wicksteed. Primarily in and around the lakes not considered on any published routes, such as Fanny Lake, Hartle, McDiarmid and Breadlebane. There are maps of the area that show old portage trails between these lakes, but many have grown over. In July, I am taking 3 guy into Fall Lake via Ottertail Creek, but who knows how passable it is. Some of the locals have indicated that the creek is certainly passable and the satellite imagery tentatively confirms it, with a few beaver dams and waterfalls thrown into the mix.

In June, I had planned on traveling up from Red Lake through the logging roads to access the creek further east and get a good idea of its condition. If Ottertail Creek is passable, it could open up a bunch of opportunities. Some of which could be very attractive to many of the more ambitious paddlers we have in Temagami.

One of which could be an entire circumference paddle around the Temagami Region. Although, this would likely be a lengthy trip, I believe there are a few that would attempt it. I doubt anyone has yet to attempt and complete it in our lifetime. Montreal River through Smoothwater lake on to the Sturgeon. Up the Temagami River into Red Cedar Lake, the Marten River, Weeksteed Lake to Ottertail Creek, Lake Temiskaming and up the Montreal River to the Start Point. Unfortunely, this route would require upstream travel on the Sturgeon River or the Montreal Rive. Another Option would be to do a figure eight loop starting in Elk Lake and paddling to Red Cedar Lake via Montreal River onto Lake Temiskaming, Ottertail Creek and then head north through the heart of Temagami to the Makobe River and back to Elk lake to Complete the other side of the Temagami Region border via the Sturgeon River loop.

Ahhhh the possibilities. I just wish I had the time to try this. Until I retire, I am just left with small snippets of trips. But, I am really not complaining.

Link to this message

trailbill

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mycocanoer,
When I was scouting for the Friends of Temagami map 2 years ago we could have used your information. We didn't have any current information on that area.
I looked into the nastagan portages to Simpson, Expectation, Desperation, Salvation, Maxim, Cooper, Fourbass, Lorrain, Marten, Bruce, McPhee Marian, Forlise, Boyce, Redwaters, for open routes, portage lengths, campsites etc. Also did Hartle but couldn't find any open routes there except a poor one to the first pond to the NNW. Assumed the McKenzie -Breadlebane portage wasn't in use because of the marshy area at the MacKenzie end. Didn't do much bush driving. Used accesses at Wicksteed, Temagami village and the Rabbit Lake Road.
Most of this summer will be finding and recording more pictograph and petroglyph sites. Have budgeted time to finish the Maxim-Salvation portage this summer and probably the Salvation Desperation as well so the route can be passed around next winter and used next summer.
If I can manage to get up during your June trip, we can have it open this summer.
 Link to this message

trailbill

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mycocanoer,
I will probably be able to get out of Brampton on the afternoon of June 16 and could be at Maxim Lake early morning on June 17. We could map out and do most of the portage to Salvation that day.
Much of it would be relatively easy to put through.
If you want we could portage to Salvation the next day and do the nastagan portage to Desperation.
I tried to drive into Salvation last summer but the beaver had put about 18 inches over the road.
I have a medium sized Husqvarna chain saw and a new GPS that draws routes.
Please contact me at wndrer@sympatico.ca so we can exchange telephone numbers and work out details
 Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 2:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trailbill,

I just got back from my weekend trip from the Matabitchuan loop with my girlfriend. I will send you an email tomorrow when I get all unpacked and we can work out our schedule.
 Link to this message

stajanleafs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any updates to the Salvation portage? I was thinking of checking out this area at some point/

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home