Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Ottertail Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone had any experience with paddling from Wicksteed lake through Ruth Creek to Ottertail Creek on to Lake Temiskaming? Also, does anyone have any experience with paddling into Fall Lake from Ottertail Creek? What is the fishing like along this route? Any decent campsites on Fall Lake or Ottertail Creek?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 400

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been eyeing that route for awhile now. Actually from Marten Lake through Gooderham to Otter Lake. The portages there are overgrown. But I was going to park at the road between Gooderham and Otter and just portage down to Otter to start.
 Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have yet to explore that far south, but I expect to in the next few years. I have been concentrated on the lakes east of Wicksteed Lake the last three years and expect to make three more trips into that region this year. Curly, I would like to know about your experience through there if you choose to go.

Although, Google Maps is a good reference, Bing maps has closer satellite images for that particular region and you can get a pretty good view of your route and check for potential campsite spots and such.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 401

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for pointing me to Bing Maps. I've only recently become aware of it, and only now seen the quality of their sat images. Ottertail Creek looks very interesting, a few rapids. I bet its best as a spring run. There's even a good access off the McConnell Lakes Road, could make for a day trip or overnight from there to Ottertail Falls at the end.
 Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have talked with a few locals about the accessibility of Ottertail creek and they said that the whole creek is quite navigable, aside from the odd rapid, waterfall and beaver dam. The one older man said he and his son traveled a fair distance on it about 10 years back and returned back because it was only a day trip. I speculate that the obstacles would likely need work tracking or lining without any portage to aid. With all of my references, I do not see any portages shown. And, with the aid of Bing maps, it seems that portages may really not be needed. Just a bit of elbow grease. With that said, I am mentally drawing a picture of it being very similar to Naismith Creek.

I usually do my exploratory trips solo, but this July trip I am bringing two others willing to trek through this untraveled region and see what gems lie ahead. One of them is salivating at the thought of great fishing in Fall Lake(As this is one of very few, truly fly-in fishing lakes in Temagami) and the other just likes the adventure. I plan on recording as much information as I can so I can submit it to FOT for another lost route recovered for their map updates.

I will definitely post info on here for others to think about. Especially, if it is a good trip.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 452

Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was in that area today for a little paddle. Drove the McConnell Lakes Road (off Hwy 63 NE of North Bay), then the McLaren Bay Road and the Lasalle Road to Ottertail Creek. Very easy to find, good roads too. About 43 km off the highway.

Paddled upstream to the first falls. There is an 80 m portage on river left, passable except for one big tree down at the bottom end. The creek is low volume right now, I could rock hop most anywhere across the rapids.

Then paddled downstream to a rapids and falls there. There is no portage, but the rapids are about 550 m long. You could drag down in low water, but an open canoe could not navigate the falls in high water.

The creek between the two rapids/falls was easy to navigate, usually 30' wide, lined by tag alders, no campsites, and a deep tea-colour.

mycocanoer, did you get out there this spring?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home