Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Needed: Car Shuttle, Elk Lake to Gowganda, May 18 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all, spring paddling is here and I have a trip planned from Gowganda to Elk Lake.

Start at Gowganda
Stumpy Lake
Lady Duffererin Lake
Gamble Lake
Trethewey Lake
Makobe River to Elk Lake

I hope to run the trip from May 18 and come out at Elk Lake on the morning of May 26.

What I need is a driver to take my car from Gowganda and put it at Elk Lake. Ideally picking up the driver in Elk Lake, driving to Gowganda and starting the trip, the driver returns the car to Elk Lake where I would pick it up a week later.

Any thoughts on an outfitter or local who do the shuttle for a reasonable fee?

Cheers, Darryl H.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 405

Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Darryl, you and I need to talk. The portage from Stumpy to Mtrl River (just downstream of Beauty Lake Road, 2 km) is impassable, check other threads here for more info. I am going into this area the same time as you to open this portage. Call me 705-499-0692. Can we connect and spend a day or 2 clearing that portage?

As for outfitters, check out Gowganda Lodge, Auld Reekie Lodge. Or when we talk I can give you some other names. Or maybe I can help you out in that respect.
 Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly, thank you for the reply. I reached out to a Bed and Breakfast in Elk Lake who said that they would be happy to earn a few dollars by doing a car shuttle.

Clearing a portage is an unexpected challenge, one that may be beyond my ambition. That said I have benefited greatly from portage work by Brian Back and others. May be time to repay, but I'm not sure how my canoe partner/wife would feel about it.

I'll need to talk to her and look at the situation.

Cheers, Darryl H.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 407

Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok. I don't know what kind of challenge you will face heading upstream on the Montreal River through that section. The water will be high, so the usual rocky Class 1-2 rapids might be difficult. Portaging will not be an option, so you'll have to track up. You might want to change your route? Perhaps you could start your trip at the Beauty Lake Road and head upstream to the rest of your route?

If you can spare a day (or even half) to help, it would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 132

Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I might be able to give you a hand Curly...
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 410

Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Coolio, gimme a call.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 411

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Darryl H., are you still going that route? What date do you expect to be travelling the Stumpy-Smoothwater route? I hope to have the portage passable by the 19th or 20th. It will be good to meet you. Don't feel bad if you can't lend a hand, just pass it on sometime in the future.
 Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly, I should be able to give you a half day on Saturday the 18, and or a half day on Sunday the 19th. Will be accessing via Beauty Lake Road and the Montreal River.

Although our route is upstream on the Montreal to Lady Dufferin (Smoothwater-Sunnywater-Tretheway-Makobe-Makobe River), we can head down-stream to meet you and help on the portage clearing. Is there a place to pitch a tent at the put in or at the portage?

You can reach me at darl.harding@gmail.com

Looking forward to meeting you.

(Message edited by Darlh on May 13, 2013)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home