Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Did I find the right portage? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, everyone. My wife and I did most of Route 4 (the bays and lakelets circling Lake Temagami) last week, and had a great time despite some heavy winds (yup, the wrong direction). But what frustrated us most was our surprising difficulty in finding some of the portages. We could often find several pseudo take-outs that petered out after a few meters, perhaps made by multiple canoists also in search of the trails.

I know that portage problems should be listed at the portage/campsite watch forum, but before I report one in particular, can anyone out there tell me if we even found the right place?

We were west of Lake Temagami, and we went southeast from Obabika Inlet into Banana Lake and then Jumping Cat Lake. But we then had trouble finding the portage from Jumping Cat into the unnamed lake just northwest of Sand Point.

Hap's updated guide simply describes this as "another short trail". But what we eventually found (unmarked) was a short trail over some rocks that ended when it met a logging road parallel to the unnamed lake. There was no indication of whether we should turn left or right onto this road to find the put-in. Ten meters to the left, we found a potential put-in to a marsh leading into the lake, but it was thoroughly blocked by a half-dozen logs and didn't look used.

We walked further down the road in both directions but found nothing else. So we went into the marsh, somehow bypassing the logs and poling through a narrow channel, then doing two more log liftovers before getting into the lake proper. Phew! So my question to you folks is: Did we find the right portage? Is this the one I should report on the portage-watch forum as in need of work? And is this normal for Temagami, such that I should just accept it as part of the wilderness experience?

Thanks, and have a great day!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 256

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think anyone has responded because this is not a well used route, so few have done it. As well, it is hard to give an answer from your description.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home