Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Water levels from Hobart to Chris Willis < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I leave in less than 2 weeks for my Maple Mountain trip. Anyone know current water levels between Hobart and Chris Willis? Will i have to line, or is there enough water to paddle thru?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 741

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ask again closer to the weekend.
 Link to this message

brookieman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Brian, any ideas on the water levels this week? I'm leaving Wed morning!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 751

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't been on the water in a few weeks, but judging from the Upper Goose guage on the Sturgeon, the water is holding up well.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/conditions.htm

I can't see you having any problems.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just back from that trip - didn't do Chris Willis though, came in through Sucker Gut then stayed at the last island campsite.

The water through to Hobart was good and high, the usual beaver dam lift over was at the Tupper entrance, but it's very easy to get over.

We were landed for three extra days waiting for the clouds to lift off the mountain, but it was well worth the wait!
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Cascade, when were you on Hobart? I was there last Friday and Saturday. One other thing to point out for the access to Tupper - a couple of points in the creek that you have to either paddle like crazy to build momentum to cruise over, or get out and walk over, depending on the weight of the canoe. Through the creek we came upon 2 spots where the beavers had been busy enough to create a small bundle of twigs and brush to get over. Very easily grounded if not going fast enough.

Great trip either way. We stayed on Hobart campsite that was up on a rock face - the East shore, near the entrance of Hobart from Sucker Gut.

Water would have been even higher if not for the beaver dam at Tupper. When I went 11 years ago, the dam was not there but the water levels were really low. Navigating into Hobart was fun - calling out all the rocks.

Ned
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Rallupae

We had left by the time you got there - we pulled out just this past Friday... hubby thought that three degrees at night was a bit much!

I should have said our view of the water levels were based on an empty canoe!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home