Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Motor Free Lakes? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kingbiscuit43

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've traveled APP quite often but would love to trip into Temagami. From a couple of maps I've found through MYCCR it seems many of the lakes have cottages, luxury homes, and plenty of horsepower...Can anyone suggest a route without the ATVs, Seadoos, boats, etc.? We don't mind the portages (moderate >p1000 would be ideal)but seek solitude...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 757

Posted on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This might help:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/solitu de.htm
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 246

Posted on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The one portage rule not always work. Mowat Landing to the Lady Evelyn Lake 1 portage, motor boats are still there. Lake Temagami into Diamond lake 1 portage, motor boats are still there. Lake Temagami to Obabika Lake, motor boats are still there. There are also many boat catches on many interior lake.
So the one portage rule does not exist unless you know where to go and the right access point.
Bill
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

KB43

East Montreal Works... put in Edith, and you're good to sisseney. (Several alternative routeonce you are on the system)

West Montreal works, cross Penassi and you're good to Mistinikon

Makobe River put in at Elk Lake, and you're good to Banks/Makobe Lake (or climb west face of Maple Mountain)

Sidney system, put in at Longpoint and youre good to Sidney Lake.

There are lots of private routes out there.

Sundown

Medelsohn Off the Montreal, and you're good to Maple Mountain.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 758

Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hillbilly, Obabika and Lady Evelyn lakes do not apply as they are either road-accessible or not limited to access by canoe portage only. This leaves Diamond. There are always exceptions to every rule, but it doesn't mean it isn't a good rule of thumb.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 247

Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes Brian you are right but I also left out Willow Island Lake & Sucker Gut Lake. They also have motor boats. The there are Lady Dufferin, Smoothwater, along with many lake near by these. Also the Sturgeon River and countless other lakes & rivers.
To me the TIP did not do that much. When I was on Lady Evelyn & Sucker Gut this tear we had to turn our canoes into the boat wake because the fishing boats came down the lake full speed and did not care about us. They only wanted to get to there fishing spot as fast and as soon as they could. The MNR should have placed a motor size limit on all the lake in the Temagami area to under 10hp. I had mentioned that to John Salo and he said he would take it under advisement but it looks as if nothing came about.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

... and don't forget the lazy saps who we saw having their canoes towed by a motor boat towards Maple Mountain. Likely towed as far as the entrance to Hobart. Where is the adventure in that?

I agree - seeing as it is a Park, motor limits needs to be enforced, or abolished altogether. I do have to say that is was really nice to stay on Hobart and Tupper for a couple of days - boats cannot pass.

Ned
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 150

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Careful Ned, the local annishnabe would likely travel to Maple Mountain by motor boat and you maybe damming the very peoples you were looking to acknowledge
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not looking to insult those that I respect at all. I don't see how any motor boat could pass the rocky narrows into Hobart anyhow. Furthermore, I was more criticizing those two canoes being towed by boat to the entrance to Hobart.

What's wrong with a little 2 days paddle to get there, I ask?

Lastly, I would think that the Annishnabe aren't the ones tearing past the campsites as fast as possible, and in droves, to flock to a fishing hole "before the other guy".
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

At times it is better if a boat does not slow down to an idle when approaching a canoe, or group of canoes. When at half throttle the waves are only larger because there is more of the hull in the water. This makes the waves twice as big when compared to going full out.
I don't know why some groups of canoes must be spread out horizontally(not saying you were in a group)in such a manner when approaching a narrow section of a lake (eg. Kokoko inlet). Situations such as this could be avoided if such a group could form a single line until they are past the bottle neck, so to speak. The guy in the boat would appreciate the safety just as much as those holding the paddle.
This should be standard practice for tripping guides when traveling larger bodies of water with more traffic.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home