Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Campsites on Montreal River/Indian lake area < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gmagnes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are doing loop #14 from Hap Wilson's book this week--start at Mowatt's Landing, cross Lady Evelyn, Maple Mtn, north thru Anvil, Greenwater, Skull, and Mendelsohn and then up to Big Spring lake and back to Mowatt's along the Montreal River. My question is that the map I have only shows one campsite between Mendelsohn and Mowatt's and Wilson's book notes that as not a particularly attractive site. It's a relatively long stretch for only one site. Can anyone tell me if there are other approved sites on that stretch or if we're likely to be able to locate our own, informal site if the one approved site is taken or we need to stop somewhere above or below it because of time or other issues?
Also, the topo map shows a couple of portage trails between Mendelsohn and Big Spring and Montreal R. while Wilson's book indicates Spray Creek as the route--can I assume that Spray will be completely passable other than short portage I see on the map and beaver dams?
Thanks
Gerry Magnes
Schenectady, NY
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's been a long time since I did the route, but my experience and reading more recent trip reports all point to a shortish portage along Spray Creek . You paddle into the creek from the north part of Mendohlssen Lake, do the portage, continue along the creek, and then come out onto the Montreal River .

I have only heard of that one site along the Montreal river .

When we did the trip, we spent the last night on Mendohlssen and then paddled out to Mowats . Unless the weather is truly foul, this is an easy days paddle, albeit with rather boring scenerey. I would plan your itinerary around that, rather than spending the last night along the river .
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gmagnes

Personal opinion... the reason there are none marked is that whole area is shoreline campable.
I usually just pull up on shore, and set up.

There is a spot right at where the Indian Lake road meets the montreal (northeast side).

No worries.

Sundown
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why do you want to camp anywhere there?
It'a a day's paddle from Mendelsohn Lake to Mowatt Landing (I did this strech in 1983). Montreal River is not pretty there and there is one large site (more like a hunting camp) after you enter the river below Big Spring Lake.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder

Sundown
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

gmagnes, This is a slightly different version of the Maple Mountain loop you are doing but the whole last 1/2 is the same. Scroll down and the there aresome pictures of the island campsite on the Montreal and he also mentions the grassy site at the narrows.

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/forum/topic. asp?TOPIC_ID=962

The second is a link to a trip report for the same route you are taking.

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetails.php?rout eid=280

Enjoy...this is my favourite route!!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home