Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 9, 2008 * Emergency Number < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gmagnes

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We'll be out for 8 days, starting and leaving from Mowatt's landing--ending next Sunday when the Temagami outfitter is closed and I don't know about Mowatt's. Does anyone know of an emergency number (such as rangers) I can leave with my wife to call if we don't show up at the planned time next week?
Thanks
Gerry Magnes
 Link to this message

scouterfred

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd suggest that you leave a detailed float plan at the Temagami OPP office. Make sure it has your day-by-day planned route, including campsites, and a description of your boat(s) and tent(s), and a date that they should start looking for you. They have a mail box for float plans outside if there's nobody at the station. And don't forget to check back in when you are finished, so they don't start looking for someone who's safe at home! (And call home too).

The OPP number is 1-888-310-1122. They are at 32 Lakeshore Dr, just west of the Outfitters.

Have a great trip!

FRED

(Message edited by scouterfred on September 8, 2007)
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi G,

Take comfort in knowing that when you obtain your permit for the parks (Obibaka and LE Smoothwater) they take your info down, including tent colour, canoe colour, etc and the days that you are gone. As suggested it would also be a good idea to leave a plan with officials.

I was able to obtain cell phone coverage on analogue service while at the top of maple Mountain aiming the phone (Bell) towards the East where the cell towers are on Hwy 11. You may get reception on some of the Islands in lady Evelyn as well.

Hope this helps.

Save travels.
 Link to this message

mdwag

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was only one time I stopped in at the Temagami police station to let them know I'd be about a month in the bush. I had read in a Calvin Rustrum book it was a good way to leave some trail if people ended up needing to look for you. This was way before cellphones, or computers .. or vcr's... i digress. It was pretty late at night, and the guy at the desk waved us toward a multi-use kind of guest book. We put in a bit of info, like our names and a likely day of return; I guess I gave us at least about 5 or so weeks, as I really didn't know how long. Wouldn't want anyone looking if we were just having a grand old time. We left the next morning by a local train, with my canoe in a freight car, heading west for Missinaibi Station. When we returned through Temagami about 24 days later, I remembered to stop in at the police station. A slightly bemused and disinterested officer told us to go ahead and put in that book that we returned, if we wanted to.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home