Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Ishpatina - Drive most of the way? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 5, 2007rallupae25 10-5-07  11:42 pm
Archive through November 14, 2007brian25 11-14-07  9:33 am
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 487

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, it didn't have a view, it was back in the bush, so the view was limited.
But Dougherty is a beautiful lake. In the chain Dougherty, Frederick and Stouffer it is the prettiest.This is a picture taken from the campsite.It was a dull cloudy day and the lake was calm, but a few minutes earlier it was seething mess of huge waves that were big enough to keep me sitting on my island perch for the day......

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 780

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know the site well. A favourite. But approaching logging will really open it up to the gasoline crowd.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice to see that the thread has changed gears without becoming a new thread. How did we change from getting to Ishpatina to crappers in the woods?
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae

@$!% Happens !!!

Sundown}
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 494

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's OK Rallupae you can have your thread back.
Blame TSM for opening the lid on this discussion and hijacking the thread. Some of us just can't resist getting involved when this opportunity presents itself.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 128

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ummm...Ed, I believe you posted the "toilet" photo first
My humble apologies Rallupae for "helping" (read not just me) hijack this thread.
Getting back to your original thread however, why drive to Ishpatina......why not stimulate both your senses and Temagami's ecomony by flying in instead. Awesome way to either begin OR end a trip into the backcountry.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 497

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well you are correct TSM, I should have went back further in the thread and checked that out thoroughly.Shame on me for dragging the conversation down into a holey spot.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No worries, folks - it was kinda funny. Cheers!

I would like to fly over the ridge one day, but not until I have been on it by foot. Whether I drive or canoe, I do like the challenge of getting there by ground/water means first.

Now, if anyone can get me on a flight over Maple Mountain a few times, that would be great. I have travelled to it twice by ground (canoe and foot) and would love to see it by air.

There I go attacking my own thread with another topic.

Oh well. What is one to do when the winter has set in, but ramble on...

Cheers!
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 129

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed for not "dumping" all the blame on me!
BTW rallupae, the photo in my avatar was taken on the ridge, looking north. The tower would be about 20 feet in front of me. Here's a better look. Don't mind the guy blocking the view!

Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM

Dont you DARE tell him the photo was taken from
the passenger seat of my Pick-up, OK???

(or the window of Ed and Kims Thunderbirdbox)

Sundown
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 135

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can save you the flight expense... here ya go...but it is better in person..so do it anyways!

(Message edited by irishfield on November 23, 2007)
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the pix irishfield! Wow! Ok, so, in the lower photo, is that Scarecrow Lake? and in the top, that's the reverse view? I have to say that the top one looks kinda like Maple Mountain a bit with the two rock faces and all. Very interesting photos - now I am really teased over the Winter.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 137

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

QUOTE Now, if anyone can get me on a flight over Maple Mountain a few times, that would be great. I have travelled to it twice by ground (canoe and foot) and would love to see it by air.

Yep.. it's Maple Moutain...that's what you asked for! LOL

The tell tail "eye brows" are a great landmark when down low in the "soup"..provided of course they appear BELOW the windshield!

First picture is looking North... second is coming over the top looking South/South East

(Message edited by irishfield on November 30, 2007)
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, December 2, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks a million irrishfield - much appreciated! Wouldn't happen to have any shots of Ishpatina from the air would you? These kinds of photos really help me to get a feel for the land.

Thanks!
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 130

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

rallupae
Bush_Pilot took some awesome photos from his helicopter 2 years ago. Brian posted them here on this site.
Here's the link
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/05/ishpatina05 .htm
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 131

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

rallupae
I threw together a basic trip report after our trip in 2006. I posted a link to it here after our trip. There are a few shots of Scarecrow Lake and surrounding area taken from the plane. It'll give you an idea of what to expect. No photos from day 3 and 4 however, too busy portaging one day and too rainy the next!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/helene.huot/Day_1_Ishpati na_Ridge_index.html

Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great trip account, tsm. I enjoyed it very much. The more I read into this, the more I am starting to change my plans of how I get to the ridge. I am now looking at how to get there from the South, by water and foot - leaving the motorization behind. Seems that I would much better enjoy the journey, as would the land better accept me being there.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae

For all of my travels... from the Maori to the
Aborigine to the Cherokee to the Anishnabae...
the best and most consistent messages have been
that all men are Guardians of the Land. The Land
does not belong to us, so much as we belong to it... and perhaps we understand that best through
footsteps and paddlestrokes, eh?

Sundown
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well said Sundown!
Rallupae, notice the photo of the canoe on the plane. There was not a scratch on her before this trip......I had only gently used it at the cottage on Lake Temagami for a week before this trip. Can't say the same now!!
Something I hadn't noticed before however, is that the canoe was placed backwards on the plane. BW canoes have the canoe name on the stern, not the bow. It's assymetrical, not sure if it matters much, however I always put the bow in front when transporting on the car.
Scott, our pilot commented on not liking to fly Kevlar canoes, since they tend to be more fragile. He mentionned he would keep the speed down to about 100 MPH, which I confirmed with my GPS.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 130

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM
Have you ever seen a square stern canoe or boat tied to a plane, the flat end goes forward. Not very aerodynamic but the rear strap goes over the bow which is of course much narrower than the stern so there is no way the canoe can slide backwards out of the straps. If the boat were to start sliding out the center of gravity of the aircraft would change and the tremendous drag created would result in a crash. Kevlar is easy to break with the herc straps, thats why some pilots prefer ropes.

(Message edited by Bush Pilot on December 3, 2007)
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 138

Posted on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gee BP.. I was always told it was the streamline way to haul a transom canoe/tinny. Similar to a steamline strut with the blunt edge forward...tapered rearward and more aerodynamic / less draggy because of it.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Awright... I've been trying to keep it a secret,
but its about to come out !!!!

For the reasons of aerodynamics stated above,
I even load my canoes sternforward on my vehicle...
and concur its vital to do so on an aircraft.

On the vehicle, I like the extra rigidity of the
sternseat crossmembers (closer to the stern than
the Bow Crossmembers are to the bow) facing into
the airflow.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said
"you've got your canoe On Backwards..." but, I just
respond "you have your vehicle facing the wrong way".

Sundown
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Makes sense Sundown.
I think we've set a record at this forum for number of times this thread has gone off-topic!

Highly educational though!
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 131

Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Speaking of off topic I just came back from up Ishpatina way, couldn't see much in the 1.5 mile visibility but there sure is a lot of snow already on the ground. Irish I'm sure there are all sorts of theories out there on how and why boats are carried backwards but I'm sticking with my theory I just can't see how a 12 foot boat would have less drag with the bow rear ward, if that is the case I guess all the automobile manufacturers have it wrong, they should have the blunt trunk forward and the pointy end at the back.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 139

Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Quote;if that is the case I guess all the automobile manufacturers have it wrong, they should have the blunt trunk forward and the pointy end at the back.

Of course they have it wrong ! But if they built them that way everyone would park facing the wrong way on the street.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thread Hijackers! ;)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home