Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Playing around with google earth < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If anyone is interested I drew up the route (along with pictures) of a camp group that I lead (along with Rachel Jacobson) this summer on Google Earth. Also with a great tool (free) called Trippermap, I geo-coded (added lat/long info) for my pictures from the trip that I had uploaded to Flickr. I would humbly suggest downloading the Google Earth version as it comes out much better than the Google Maps version. I also included the rough Toporama map overlays of the area we covered, though by default it is invisible (you can easily turn them on through the sidebar). The only other tip is that if you want to see all the pictures you have to extended the date range to include the whole trip (top right corner beside the navigation controls).

The general route was: Sandy Inlet --> Diamond --> South Channel --> Lady Evelyn River --> Florence [Night 3] --> Solace --> Scarecrow (via Hamlow link) --> Smoothwater --> Montreal River

5 Nights: Fat Man's, Macpherson, Florence, Broadbent, Smoothwater
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 781

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What was the campsite like on night 4 on Broadbent Lake? How many tents?
 Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We ended up camping on the small island out of necessity (read - darkness) but, nevertheless we managed to set up 3 (inc. 1x2-man) tents and still maintain a very separate cooking (stove) area on the other rocky side of the island. Given the choice, a.k.a. lots of daylight, I probably wouldn't camp here with more than one tent. It does however have a large and quite nice rock cooking/lounging area on the north side. There is no established fire pit (hence the stove) but I am reasonably sure that the middle to southern section of this island is the resting place of my favourite knife (a Grohmann #1 flat grind).

Running through this area again with a group (this was my first time) I would probably aim to stay on one of the nice large sites on Reagan. My one caution about these sites is that I have a feeling that the sites are frequented by ATV'ers so they may be busy on weekends. The only portage we had any real trouble finding was the beginning of the Biscuit to Broadbent whose first leg (before the right turn) was quite obscured. The rest of paths, apart from the logging roads, were generally overgrown with tall ferns/brush but the paths were easy enough to follow as all this growth was uniform in height.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank you for the map you posted on this route that both planted the idea and gave us the information that enabled us to carry through with this idea. I am only to happy to share what little extra information I may have.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 782

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Glad to hear the map was useful. I hear about news stories, but oddly, I hear little from people who use the route maps. I particularly want corrections and updates for them.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home