Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail in winter < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am considering doing this trail over Christmas-time this year and was wondering about what the winter trails conditions are normally like at this time of the year? (Access roads, ice, snow depth, etc.). Last year I did the La Cloche Silhouette Trail at Christmas time and found conditions more in-line with cold-weather backpacking (i.e. pack instead of sled, no snowshoes, and never had to melt snow) than the original vision of winter camping. Would these "cold-weather backpacking" techniques be the way to go this time as well? Finally is the trail reasonably well marked and/or used during the winter?

Thanks in advance.

(Message edited by ramah_tripper on November 26, 2007)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 509

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ramah:
I think you have to pose your question closer to the time you are planning to go.
I am not sure if Temiskaming Highland trail is used/open in the winter.Suggest you go to:
www.nastawgantrails.com
and see if you can make contact with them.
 Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, I will contact Nastawgan Trails directly.
Peter
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 99

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You want to talk with either Les Wilcox (NT president) or Murray Muir. They have both hiked the trail extensively in the late fall/early winter.
 Link to this message

rick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Over the Christmas holidays last year we did a number of day hikes between New L. and Devil's Rock.
We also spent several nights south of a hydro project in the same area (sorry I don't remember the exact location).
Hiking was very easy because there was very little snow - certainly not enogh for skis or shoes.
Very nice time with many scenic views.
HTH

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home