Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * New to Temagami Planning < Previous Next >

Link to this message

boneli

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am new to the board here and I would like to plan a trip to Temagami next year and need some help in the planning process being new to this area. My goal is to hike Maple Mountain. I figured there are many ways to get there but would like a route that is considered to be better as far as big lake crossing and less windy conditions.

I was thinking of Ferguson Bay coming from the south into Sucker Gut lake then back through Lady Evelyn, Willow Island lake? and back to Ferguson Bay for the return thinking the winds if any would be a tail wind out of the west. Some people take Mowatt Landing through Lady Evelyn but not sure if the winds would prevent me from getting there in the amount of time I have. (6-7 days)

Any thoughts here is greatly appreciated.

Also, how does one reserve in Temagami? Is like Algonquin etc? or is there other ways or restrictions to be aware of?

Thanks!

boneli
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Boneli,
There are no reservations required. For travel through park areas (if you choose to go that way) you can pick up permits at many places (search this site).
Mowat Landing access to Maple Mountain is better I think, (not as much open water as you may think) as opposed to going via Ferguson Bay (lousy road access).
With 6- 7 days you have, crossing via Lady Evelyn is OK. The other way may be longer.
I would allow 1-2 days to get there and 2 days at the mountain plus two days return (it can be done in less time but you want to take it easy and also allow for being windbound).
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, November 1, 2004 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Boneli,
Knowing you from another forum I know you are a good canoeist. Starting at Ferguson Bay as otter_mel says is a little further but starting from from Mowat Landing does have more open water than from Ferguson Bay. Starting at Ferguson Bay ( Sandy Inlet ) you would cross the bay going east and portage to the North Arm, Whitefish Bay, then to Sharp Rock inlet and then north to Sharp Rock Portage the Diamond Lake and go north to the lift over to Lady Evelyn Lake. Go north on Lady Evelyn and then east to the portages to Willow Island Lake and north on Willow Island Lake to Sucker Gut Lake and then east and north to Hobart Lake to Maple Mountain. Camp on Hobart Lake as there is only one campsite on Tupper Lake. Allow a day for Maple Mountain. After Maple Mountain go south through Chris Willis Lake and go take the North Channel of the Ladt Evelyn River to the South Channel of the Lady Evelyn River. Some of the portages can be challanging but the scenery is worth it. You will also pass by Hap Wilsons cabin on the river. Afteryou finish the river you can take the 2 miler, portage into Diamond Lake or go north on Willow island Lake and go back the way you came. The 2 miler is relativly flat butcan be a bug heaven. This route can be done in 6 to 7 days if you do not doddle and are not wind boud for to long. You could also leave a cvehicle at Mowat Landing and start at Ferguson Bay or vise-versa and not make it a circle trip. If you need anymore info just ask.
Bill
 Link to this message

boneli

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bill and Otter_Mel.

Otter_Mel, Is there another way into wher I want to go? Other than going through the Parks?

Thanks

More questions to come.

Barry

(Message edited by boneli on November 4, 2004)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 126

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Boneli:
There may be a way in via the bush road that comes down from Elk Lake. I have not gone that way and I don't know if the road is gated or what condition it is in , but the planning map indicates that it goes down to Anvil Lake.

Perhaps someone out there who knows about this potential route will advise us as to the state of the road and access.

If no one responds on the forum, try to email John Salo, the park superintendant. He may be able to add some insight. John.Salo@mnr.gov.on.ca
Ed.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 289

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Cooke Lake Road of which ed speaks is not gated, but it is no longer driveable by road vehicles much south of Cooke Lake. And even if it was, the sheer length of the trip would have you banging your head on the dashboard out of sheer frustration, not to mention anger over the damage and wear to your vehicle.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home